Menu

Life after FLL4?

Since no Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind grades 5-8 seem to be forthcoming, what is a similar option for this range? I have GWG5 but the format of FLL4 is working so well.

BTW, can't stand Shurley or R&S. Thanks!

I have looked at Hake but I don't think I will use it as it is based on the Saxon math model and that so did NOT work here. Any one else?

PLEASE Jessie....just 4 more levels? (imagine big cheesey begging face.)

In all honesty, I would think that after FLL 4 your DC should be VERY well grounded in grammar topics. It would seem that they could EASILY go into almost any grammar text and do extremely well with it. I noticed that after DD9 had finished FLL 3 that she could easily do a grade 5 or 6 grammar book. I mean FLL seriously lays the foundation of good grammar, so now you just need to keep it fresh. I've been impressed with the looks of Bob Jones English for upper elementary ages. For the older ones (junior high and up) I'd choose Abeka grammar and composition--levels 1-4. Depending on the ages of your DC you could go right into level 1. According to WTM I'd supplement the writing portion of that text though. I was never really impressed with it (the writing portion).

Our children (all DS, in 6th, 4th, and 1st next year) have been classically educated in a school setting to date, but will be homeschooled next year. We have all had enough of Shurley grammar (!) and I will be using FLL for the younger 2, but am in a quandry about what to do with the 6th grader. Another Lynn, would you mind explaining what AG (JAG) stands for? Training 5, thanks for the comment on Hake, because we've all had enough of Saxon as well!

We went from FLL3 to GWG4 and it's worked well for us. I loved FLL, and will use it again with my younger two kids, but FLL4 wasn't quite ready when we needed it and I knew we'd need to switch after one more year anyway. I do like that my daughter can do GWG on her own, because it gets done more often around our house that way!

With my oldest, he was just skimming GWG enough to fill in the lesson pages so I really need something secular,preferably, comparative to FLL. There really isn't anything out there?

Not like Jessie doesn't have anything else to do but write grammar books for us, right?

We went from FLL3 to GWG4 and it's worked well for us. I loved FLL, and will use it again with my younger two kids, but FLL4 wasn't quite ready when we needed it and I knew we'd need to switch after one more year anyway. I do like that my daughter can do GWG on her own, because it gets done more often around our house that way!
Sorry, I'm REALLY new to all of this, so I don't understand any abbreviations. What's GWG?

Aquiverfull, thanks for translating AG/JAG!