Menu

Can I use SOTW 2 with a 6th grader?

keithfamily5

Next year I will have dd11 (6th grade), dd8 (3rd grade), ds4 (wild man). This is our second year homeschooling. Next year will be our 3rd. We used SOTW 1 this year. I used the Kingfisher encyclopedia with my oldest (we read and did light outling). Today I got a little more rigorous with our outling. (I am having her tested for learning disabilities. She has a hard time grasping things.)

I know this series was written for elementary students in mind. Do you think I'm pushing it--using it for 6th grade. If so, what are some other things you have used?

Thanks for the comments.

Patty

One thing I have started doing that has helped is to have him outline KF, copy maps, and fill in a timeline *before* we read SOTW. Then, we read one story from SOTW each day, and write a summary. Any extra days we just read library books or read alouds together. (We do about 30-40 minutes of history each day).

He's in 7th grade this year, and we're doing SOTW-3. He gets so much more out of it than my 4th grader. There's just really no comparison.

btw - Our first attempts at outlining were pretty pathetic, too. :)

My 7th grade son has devoured SOTW and really likes it a lot. The only thing I do with this is ask him the questions from the activity guide. He gives me some nice narrations and has learned much that he didn't know.

We are planning to use SOTW 2 next year with the tests and omit the activity guide, especially since it is geared more towards 1st through 4rth grade.

He loves history for the very first time! And he's remembering so much from it. He is normally more science oriented, so this makes this momma very happy.

Dee in Sunny FL! (who has a house full of flu sickies and is taking the whole week off. :)