Menu

Help with Nature Study book order!

Daisy

I'm placing a CBD order today and wanted to add in some nature study books. We do nature study but with all the talk lately, I'd like to be more consistent with it. I live on the West Coast and get kind frustrated that so many of the books I check out from the library feature mostly eastern flora and fauna. Here is what I'm thinking of adding to my order..

Handbook of Nature Study $20

Pocketful of Pinecones $15

Last child in the woods (I've read this before but it has been a while and I though it might be a good one to have). $10

I have most of John Muir's books and I have Sharing Nature with Children by Cornell

If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. Please keep in mind though that if I add to my list, I'm going to have to drop something most likely. I'm trying to keep nature study part of the order to under $50. I don't want to order these books if there are better ones out there (especially ones better for the West coast).

here is what I ordered:

Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker (a must have IMNSHO!). $13.99

Fun With Nature (forget the author) - $12.99 (I think) - more for younger kids but includes Frogs, Toads, Salamanders, Insects, Butterflies/Caterpillars, Trees, Racoons, Chipmunks, etc. It looked really neat. I also go the Birds, Nests and Eggs that is in this series since it wasn't included in the book (Birds, Nests, Eggs is on backorder, though!).

Watching Nature - it just looked like a good reference

Pocketful of Pinecones - just b/c it was highly recommended!

Your list looks good. The only one I would add would be Clare Walker's Keeping a Nature Journal. My order was about $50, too. I found a used copy of Handbook of Nature STudy on the boards just yesterday so I didn't order that one at CBD.

I forgot to add that my alltime favorite nature study book is by Cindi Rushton (Nature STudy the Easy Way).

Honestly, if you want resources to help you keep a notebook, this is THE one. It's not a field guide, it's a how-to-do guide.

I really think it's one of the best books I"ve ever bought--I don't think she writes super well, but it contains so many wonderful ideas, quotes, bible verses, hymns, etc. that I find it invaluable.

I have Birds, Nest & Eggs. Oh and two others in that series, Tracks, Scats and Signs and Wildflowers, Blooms and Blossoms. I also have the DK Nature Activities series, Nature Ranger, Bird Watcher, the weather one and the bug one (can't remember names and they are in the kid's rooms right now).

So I guess I really need something that will help me organize? I hate to even use that word in relation to nature study but we are probably way too loosey goosey about the whole thing.

It looked somewhat boring to me, but she loves it! She brings on our trips to the zoo or the arboretum. It's sections are divided according to the nature environment: woodlands, meadows, pond, et al. We don't usually go to all those places, but she can usually figure out which environment the nature item belongs to. Then she has fun drawing it in and later coloring it.

Thanks everyone. I think I've realized I have more books than I thought. I ordered 9 of the one small square books for my DS for his first grade science next year but they haven't arrived yet. We are doing a habitat study with him next year. It is good to know that they will work well with nature study (duh). I guess I feel like I live in a desert and have no habitat or nature. LOL. I'm going to add Keeping a Nature Journal to my list and call it good for now.

I'm still not sure which book would be better if I have to drop one; Pocketful of Pinecones or Last Child in the Woods. I'm hoping one of these will inspire me. So which do you think would do a better job?