Menu

National Latin Exam vs. SAT II

Totally different creatures. The NLE tests Latin knowledge throughout the course of Latin study. Your middle school student, for example, might want to take the intro level exam. Then, as your student progresses through Latin, he can take the NLE corresponding to his year of study every March.

The SAT subject test is taken after your student has had at least two years of Latin study (probably wiser to have more) under his belt. Many students do not take SAT subject tests. This in part depends on the college. Some demand SAT subjects from all students; some like to see these exams from homeschoolers.

My son has been taking the NLE for a number of years (he just took Latin IV--poetry) which provides us with a measure of how he compares to other students studying the subject. For my son, the exam has provided an opportunity to review grammar, Roman history, Roman culture, etc., while verifyng that "mommy grade" I have given.

Jane

And I'll just add that the NLE may be gratifying and look good on a resume, but it won't get you any college credit and I'm not sure it will get you admitted to a higher class level without them taking some sort of entrance test. With a good score on an SAT II test, they might be able to skip a lower level class and move directly into a higher level class, even if they aren't given credit for it.

And I'll just add that the NLE may be gratifying and look good on a resume, but it won't get you any college credit and I'm not sure it will get you admitted to a higher class level without them taking some sort of entrance test. With a good score on an SAT II test, they might be able to skip a lower level class and move directly into a higher level class, even if they aren't given credit for it.

At the upper level of the NLE exam, there are book, dictionary and scholarship awards possible. It's inexpensive. I think it's only about $4 for the exam plus a $10 handling fee (if you have more than one student taking the exam, then you only pay the $10 fee once.) It's also low stress. If the student does poorly, it's not going to end up on a permanent transcript anywhere, but if they do well, it's nice to add!

At the upper level of the NLE exam, there are book, dictionary and scholarship awards possible. It's inexpensive. I think it's only about $4 for the exam plus a $10 handling fee (if you have more than one student taking the exam, then you only pay the $10 fee once.) It's also low stress. If the student does poorly, it's not going to end up on a permanent transcript anywhere, but if they do well, it's nice to add!

Plus the test can be taken at your/your student's convenience. My dd wouldn't consider 8:00am on a Saturday to be convenient :glare: