Menu

Need help. Mario Olympics or Mario Party?

I personally am not at all thrilled with the Nintendo DS dd received from Grammy in December.

Neighbor buying dd game of my choice (dd's somewhat choice) for all the help dd has been with her 3yo son.. She wants Mario Olympics or Party....ummm.....what kind of party?

Anyone know about either of these games?

I saw SIMS and was creeped out by the cover. Later heard it was not a good one anyway.

Do these game people offer any educational games?

Thanks!

-Karen sn missing Atari and it's simplistic nature

Brain Age and Brain Age 2 are educational (math facts, memory games, etc.) They were intended to get adults to buy DS games for themselves, but could be fun/educational for a kid as well.

I've recently been playing Professor Layton and the Curious Village, which is a blast! It's a mystery/puzzle solving game. It can be quite challenging at times, so I think it might be best for a kid 12 or older or a logic-minded 10 year old. The story line does involve solving mysterious disappearances/murder, but it is cartoony, nothing is shown or described, etc. in the parts I have played thus far. I can't vouch for all the content yet, as I haven't finished it. You could probably find more reviews online if you are interested.

I don't know anything about Mario Olympics for DS, but Mario Party is a "mini-game" game. There are puzzles and small challenge games that you play against the system or wirelessly against friends who also have a DS.

As you've already discovered, the SIMS was an intriguing concept with a bad implementation. It includes "adult" themes, language, concepts, etc. I won't even get it for myself because it is not the "good clean fun" that I'm looking for.

Dogz, Catz, Horsez, etc. are popular games with young girls. They are basically like sophisticated, much more lifelike and cute Tamagotchi Pets that you adopt, feed, play with, etc. on your DS. Warning, these can be addicting!

Do you know that all the old Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games are playable on a DS, right? The old games don't use the stylus--only the buttons. You can often pick up old Gameboy games for $5-$15 at game stores like Game Crazy or at pawn shops. This opens HUNDREDS of possibilities for games, including old favorites like Tetris, Dr. Mario, the Super Mario series, etc.

That said, there are quite a few educational games coming out. The two mentioned above of course, but this evening I saw a vocabulary game, and I know there are some foreign language ones too (I know I've seen a Spanish one).

I am of the opinion, however, that not everything has to be about education. Kids should be able to be kids sometimes. ;-p With that in mind, I would suggest that EITHER of the games you mentioned would be wonderful. Mario games are always good, clean fun! My son has the Mario Party and REALLY likes it. He has had them for his regular Nintendo, and now his Wii, so I knew he'd enjoy the DS one. It was definitely a hit!

I think the DS is the best alternative on the market for games, definitely of the handheld variety. Nintendo makes a lot of CLEAN games, and they are now doing the educational ones as well.

there is a kitchen one that is super-cute (it might be mama's cookin or something). In fact, they have come out with a LOT of games for girls lately. The animal ones are certainly a hit with many girls, and I think now there is even a baby one that is similar to the animal ones. Also, the Harvest Moon games are precious too.

There is also a Princess Peach game (she's in the Mario games) that would be very girly, Yoshi's Island game is really cute and fun. There are lots and lots to choose from. Still, you can almost never go wrong with Mario...