Menu

Singapore math users....

Mommamia

At a minimum, you need the textbook and the workbook. You may wish to add either the Extra Practice or Intensive Practice workbooks for more practice. You might also want to add in Challenging Word Problems. You can also combine SM with Miquon for more hands-on work. The scedule combining the two can be found here:

http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm

The version that is based on the original Singapore math, but changed to reflect US money and measures, is the US version. The Standards version has been reworked to conform to California's math scope and sequence and wasn't used in Singapore's schools.

There are also teacher's manuals. The ones written by Jenny Hoerst are geared to home schoolers. The Rosen ones are for classrooms. They both include extra activities to reinforce SM.

You must have the student notebook, and you really need the textbook too. I HIGHLY recommend the Instructor Guide for at least 1A or 1B (published by SingaporeMath.com) - these are well written and presented and they give you the strategies, activities, review, models, manipulative suggestions, etc. to teach the Singapore way. The guides starting at 2A are written by Sonlight, and aren't laid out as well but they are helpful. I think if you at least look through one of the level 1 guides so you get a feel for the teaching element of the program it would be very beneficial, and after that you may or may not need a guide.

You must have the student notebook, and you really need the textbook too.

:iagree:

I didn't need and don't use the HIG for my two older kids. My 6yo will start 1A in the fall and I know that I will need the HIG for him, mainly for the extra activities. (He's a very Wiggly Willy.)

Textbook= explains what you are doing.

Workbook= practices what you are doing.

HIG= schedule, answers, some problems worked out for you, additional reinforcement.

Intensive Practice books= takes the concepts learned in the primary books one step farther.

World Problem books= at the same difficultly level as the primary level but in word problems.

Daily I use the Textbooks and the Workbooks and the HIG (correcting the kiddo's work).

Heather

Hi-just wanted to add that a lot also depends on both your comfort level with teaching math and your child's math abilities. My oldest ds is flying through the SM2 and we barely touch the textbook or HIG. But I minored in math in college and he has a very analytical mind/"math-ish" mind. My dd, on the other hand, is not so "math-ish" and has some processing problems. We used the textbook, HIG, workbook and anything else I could get my hands on. We ended up finally switching to RS and she is starting to make some great progress.

I looked at www.rainbowresource.com samples.

We've used U.S. version from earlybird through 4A now.

I found I needed the textbook at 3a to have a few worked examples to look at and discuss and the Home Instructor's Guide at 4a to check answers because time wise it was taking me too long.

We added challenging wordproblems at 3B.

Because we worked singapore and miquon together 1a-3b, we didn't use the textbook or additional workbooks except for the above.

There's many ways to get the job done.;)

Hi Christine!

Singapore was my first love. I am a math person and I adored the problem solving approach. But it was painful at times. I would have to walk my oldest through every problem for weeks at a time when a new concept was introduced.

Right Start isn't as flashy, but boy does it cover the basics well. The longer I use RS the more I appreciate it.

Basically I started my ds in A half way through his Pre-K year, basically when he turned 5. This is his official K year and he will finish up A by summer and move into B. As you can tell we have taken things nice and slow.

With Singapore I don't use the Earlybird books anymore. I wait and start the Primary 1A book in 2nd grade, so technically they are a year "behind" but given a lot of people don't start Algebra till as late as 9th grade and Singapore starts as early as 7th I don't see a reason to worry.

My oldest is currently 5th grade and is finishing up 4B, and doing RS D. This fall for 6th she will start RS E and Singapore 5A and 5B. For 7th she will probably do RS Geometry and Singapore 6A and 6B. Then in 8th she will start Foerster's Algebra I and Singapore NEM 1.

On a day to day basis?

My 6yo ds (K) does a lesson to a lesson and a half in RS a week.

My 7yo dd (2nd) does a lesson and a half to two lessons a week in RS and two pages a day in Singapore.

My 9yo dd (3rd) does a lesson a day and two pages of Singapore.

My 11yo dd (5th) does two lessons a day in RS and three pages a day in Singapore.

Heather