Menu

Can I use IEW's history-based writing lessons without any other IEW products?

TrixieB

We'll study the medieval period next year. IEW's Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons intrigues me, and looks like it would help dd to improve her history writing. I can't afford the Teaching Writing or SWI courses from IEW.

From the samples, it looks like I could use Medieval HBWL as a stand-alone product. Or am I mis-reading the samples, and it would be confusing and totally useless without having previously worked through other IEW products?

it's a bit harder because it doesn't give you the answers (sample outlines) like IEW US HBWL, v1 (older version).

If you needed help, I would glad to help as I'm sure others here (TWM) as well as the IEW families yahoo group. If you buy it directly from IEW you would get to download free the e-student resource which will help.

Just read everything in the IEW Medieval HBLW before you start, ask questions and read the files in the IEW yahoo group.

We're using IEW Medieval HBWL now.

I would encourage you to borrow a TWSS set and go through it. It's doable to do a theme based book but you will miss so much of the theory behind the program and it won't be nearly as rich as it could have been.

A little off-topic, but can you start IEW w/ a 9th grader? Or, is it too late? Meaning: We are finishing R&S-8 this year, so I don't want to go back to how to write a paragraph, I want to keep writing essays.

And, do the theme-based lesson books (we'll do Ancients next year) work across the grade levels? IOW, could both my 6th grader and my 9th grader would use the same book?

Thanks!

A little off-topic, but can you start IEW w/ a 9th grader? Or, is it too late? Meaning: We are finishing R&S-8 this year, so I don't want to go back to how to write a paragraph, I want to keep writing essays.

And, do the theme-based lesson books (we'll do Ancients next year) work across the grade levels? IOW, could both my 6th grader and my 9th grader would use the same book?

Thanks!

give a good foundation. The last lesson is writing a research paper on Ancient Rome (5 or 3 paragraphs).

IEW US HBWL v2 is really good for high school because it shows how to do bibliographies in MLA style. Maybe you could get to it before you finish high school.

My 9th grader hasn't done much writing so far at his private high school (1-3 paragraphs in several subjects). He has a few research papers that will be due at the end of the year but I don't think they'll be teaching bibliographies/MLA in 9th grade (I could be wrong?).

SO, no it wouldn't be too late!

You know, I was a little surprised when reading your reply because we're using Ancient History this year and it does have a teacher's manual. I'm confused as to why some of the levels have teacher's manuals and some don't. Did they just come out?

To the op, I think after a few lessons, it's easy to figure out what's being asked. I would print out the sample lessons from Ancient History and do a mini course this year to give you and your dd a chance to try it with the TM.