Menu

Organizing Books - Does this exist?

I really need to organize my books -- not only the ones I own, but the ones I want to own (or borrow). And I want to do it all in one place. So I am looking for a program or website that will allow me to enter an ISBN and catalog my books -- grouping them by tag (category) and also noting their physical location (i.e. bookshelf).

In addition I would like to be able to keep lists of books I want to buy (while tagging them by subject as well) and be able to keep a list of books that I want that are at one of our local libraries (also tagged by subject).

For example, I see a cool book listed here on the board and think I want to use it one day. I would like to be able to go to a site and see if it is in a nearby library. If it is, I want to save it to a list and be able to tag it by topic. If it is not, I want to be able to save it to a "to buy" list and tag it by topic. Once I own it I want to move it to my "own" list so that when I am looking for books on that topic I can find it. It would also be nice to be able to export my "to buy" list to my Paperback Swap and Amazon wish lists as well, but now I know I am asking too much. ;)

So one day when we are ready to study ancient Egypt I click on that tag and can see the books I want to use that I own (and where they are), the ones I need to get from the library (and which library) and the ones I need to buy. Is this making sense? Is there anything out there like this?

Thanks!

Try librarything.com. You can use tags, arrange your books by dewey decimal system or library of congress system. I love using this site - especially when I get a new non - fiction that I am not sure where to place on my book shelves. I just enter it in the librarything site in the dewey decimal section and it will show me my home list and where to put the book on my shelf.

Blessings

Zoraida

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I third LibraryThing. Love, love, love it! If you have a ton of books, definitely buy their Cue Cat. With that and my laptop (which let me move from room to room), I had more than 1500 books entered into my library in 48 hours, and that was with me also taking care of my family and feeding people. :D

You can tag books however you want. You can input books you don't own and tag them Houston Public Library or Amazon - To Buy or Sonlight Core 3, VP5, WPAS1, etc., etc., etc. However you want to do it is up to you. They'll all show up in your master library but then you can pull up what you need by tags. Now that all my books are entered, I need to work tagging.

WOW!! I had tried some sort of book organizing thing online last year and found it to be disappointing.

I've been playing around with Library thing for 30 minutes and it is AMAZING!! I even added a couple Google books to the list for easy access.

Thank you!!!!! I never would have thought to search for this on my own after my disappointing discovery last year.

Readerware is another option.

It works well... especially when you back up the right files and don't lose all your hard work :glare: (my own fault on a system restore - i forgot to backup those files). I use the Palm portion and have them exported to my iPod too.

I like the sound of that. I never use my iPod, but if I could export my book list to it...

I third LibraryThing. Love, love, love it! If you have a ton of books, definitely buy their Cue Cat. With that and my laptop (which let me move from room to room), I had more than 1500 books entered into my library in 48 hours, and that was with me also taking care of my family and feeding people. :D

You can tag books however you want. You can input books you don't own and tag them Houston Public Library or Amazon - To Buy or Sonlight Core 3, VP5, WPAS1, etc., etc., etc. However you want to do it is up to you. They'll all show up in your master library but then you can pull up what you need by tags. Now that all my books are entered, I need to work tagging.

:iagree:

Library Thing is the bomb!!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I like the sound of that. I never use my iPod, but if I could export my book list to it...

Now this thread is taking a wicked turn... :lol:

I use my iPod all the time so this sounds great but I already did all the work to put my books in LibraryThing. But then I start to think about how great it would be to have all my book lists on that tiny, handy device...so useful at library sales, Half Price Books... I just don't want to enter them all AGAIN though and I don't want to be maintaining two separate book lists!

This leads me to remember how DH wanted to buy me an iPhone and I told him that would be like giving a flask to an alcoholic to make drinking more convenient. Not a good idea for me to have the internet constantly available methinks... I could access LibraryThing no matter where I am though. "Do I already have a copy of Johnny Tremain? Let me see..."

I should never have read this thread. Argh!

This leads me to remember how DH wanted to buy me an iPhone and I told him that would be like giving a flask to an alcoholic to make drinking more convenient. Not a good idea for me to have the internet constantly available methinks... I could access LibraryThing no matter where I am though. "Do I already have a copy of Johnny Tremain? Let me see..."

I should never have read this thread. Argh!

I just turned data off on my phone.... i didn't use it because, well, you know :tongue_smilie:

I haven't checked it out fully yet, but I'm wondering for those of you who use it already if being able to see other people's libraries has been useful to you? For example, could I search other people's libraries for children's books about ancient china? That would be so cool!

Sarah

Library Thing it is. I think it will do most of what I want. Thanks so much for the responses.

Now the idea of an iPhone and accessing LT from there is VERY intriguing. I have never coveted an iPhone before, but being able to access book lists while on-the-go might just do it. :001_smile:

Library Thing it is. I think it will do most of what I want. Thanks so much for the responses.

Now the idea of an iPhone and accessing LT from there is VERY intriguing. I have never coveted an iPhone before, but being able to access book lists while on-the-go might just do it. :001_smile:

Yes, if you're a compulsive book buyer (though I wouldn't know anyone like that :tongue_smilie:), it's great to be able to pull LibraryThing up on an iPhone while you're shopping for books. It has saved me recently from double buying some books.