Menu

I got to look at Apologia General Science (2nd ed.) and I was impressed! BUT...

MIch elle

Can I use it? It looks like a rigorous science program that covers all the important areas of science in one school year. Can a family who is Christian but believes in evolution use it? I believe that God created the world but He also created evolution. So, can I skip the creationism parts of the text? :bigear:

I'll borrow it from my friend when I can but she's currently using it so it would have to be over a weekend. She's Roman Catholic and uses it with no problems, telling her ds that there are different views and discusses what their family believes.

Thanks! :D

We used it last year (but not the new edition). You know, I guess you could use it as easily as someone who is a "creationist" can use a secular text. The secular text assumes evolution through-out, so there are loaded statements throughout, even in discussing things that have nothing to do with evolution per se.

It is (I think) a *little* better in the Wile text. He will flat out tell you what the two sides believe, the evidence for both, and the problems with both. You will encounter these types of arguments in geology and life processes mostly. There was only one entire section that was a mini-sermon that I remember. I do think Wile has tried to be fair to the other side, but (just as it is obvious that the secular text assumes evolution) it is obvious what he believes to be true.

So, long story short, you will really have to see for yourself. But, I would skim through the chapters on soil layers and fossil formation - that should give you a good idea. I can't say where in the bio section his mini-sermon was. We had already studied the human body the year before, so ds mostly read that on his own.

hth a bit

I am not sure. So I asked my oldest daughter who is using it right now.

This is her opinion.

She thinks that for the most part, you'll be ok using it. But you will want to go over Modules 7 and 8 WITH your child (there's where it gets into uniformitarianism and catastrophism). Both views are presented and if it is slanted more than the mom is comfortable with, then it's time to discuss it.

that's my 13 y.o's view.

and we aren't done with the last two modules yet. so she isn't sure about that.

-crystal

I would say no. It looks like you would have to skip most, if not all of modules 1,5,6,7,8, and parts of 9,10,and 11. You would also have to do some editing on the remaining modules not listed. Would it be worth it financially and time wise? The author is very heavy handed toward young earth creationism and it is presented through the text - not just in certain modules. Since this is not something you believe, would it be easier to use a secular text that is evolutionary in mindset? Someone correct me if I am wrong (gently please), but I think even BJU would be easier to edit than Apologia.

The book is written directly to the student and can be done independently. I highly recommend the helps at Donna Young's website. Free schedules, vocabulary words, tips on creating a lab notebook, templates for worksheets, on your own questions, etc. Take a look at

http://donnayoung.org/apologia/general.htm

The book is heavy on creationism. You might find you need to do a bit of editing, or you might present all the material and then discuss your beliefs. Anyway, if you do decide to use I think the helps at Donna Young's site will be useful. Her site is a goldmine!

Can a family who is Christian but believes in evolution use it? I believe that God created the world but He also created evolution. So, can I skip the creationism parts of the text? :bigear:

We are (Christians who believe in evolution), and we do (use the book). My 2nd son is going through it now.

I have not used the 2nd version, just the 1st. I have a schedule on my blog (free), and on there, you will see some notes in red that mention the author is writing from a creationist / young earth viewpoint which you may wish to discuss with your child. (That would be notes for "me" -- not for people that believe what he's saying.)

I don't know how different the 2 versions are, but you could get a good idea how often I had to go over stuff with my kids. It brought out some fantastic conversations with my eldest and my second has had some great insight as well.

If anything, I think it's great, particularly in a science book, to see that there's more than one side of things.