Menu

Student of the Word Curriculum-S.O.W.--?????

There aren't too many users from what I've read on all the homeschooling boards. The ones that have tried it have said that it was a lot of work.

You could also try asking at homeschool reviews? I noticed there were a few ex users there.

I was always in love with the theory of using God's Word for everything, but looking into it further, I would still have to be supplementing with regular books and workbooks and that threw me off.

Have you seen the Bedell Curriculum. I believe it's the same theory but already planned out for you. You can do a google search.

HTH,

Dee

I hesitate to respond because I've not had any personal experience with this curriculum. But, since you haven't gotten a lot of responses, I thought that I'd let you know that I have a friend who used this curriculum with her dd who was in 4th grade. I don't know if she continued it this year or not, but when I saw her last year, she was very happy with the curriculum and her dd liked it.

I personally haven't used it either. But there is a family in our area that has been using it for several years. They seem to like it. I'm not sure how the curriculum is put together. I just got a small pamphlet the other day while looking into it on the internet.

I'm not sure but her daughter is in my 11yr old Junior Girl Scout group and seems to struggle with spelling quite a bit. Isn't able to even sound out words to spell them. Now wether its from the curriculum they are using or she really struggles with spelling I don't know. My 11 yr old struggles with spelling but it able to try to sound out the word. I don't know.

I guess I just don't know enough about the curriculum yet.

There aren't too many users from what I've read on all the homeschooling boards. The ones that have tried it have said that it was a lot of work.

You could also try asking at homeschool reviews? I noticed there were a few ex users there.

I was always in love with the theory of using God's Word for everything, but looking into it further, I would still have to be supplementing with regular books and workbooks and that threw me off.

Have you seen the Bedell Curriculum. I believe it's the same theory but already planned out for you. You can do a google search.

HTH,

Dee

I loved them both, but I still had to supplement with real books because I am a CM follower.

Bedell was extremely easy to use and I would have stayed with it except we are not baptist and it has a very baptist doctrinal slant. I had to modify too much on the fly. The history is more provincial in nature also.

SOW was great, but again, you have to add the living books. I didn't like the LA because I had to modify it too much for my CM taste. I really did like the prayer letters. We still do parts of SOW, but I couldn't get into a groove with the whole thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard that also. I had a catalog a while back but have no idea where I placed it. It's a tri fold newsletter type of catalog in black and white. It looked very good but did look teacher intensive.

HTH,

Dee

I used SOW and while it had some really good points (prayer letters were wonderful) it did become far too much work. It is one of those "guide" type curriculums where you have to piece together resources and it quickly can get to be very expensive. It had a nice writing program and it was really nice when we did it, but I had a desire to cover more of the bible each year. It takes six years to get through the bible with SOW.

I have used Bedell for many years. I am starting it again with my four year old. I have bagged SL bible lessons in favor of Bedell. In a half hour I can cover bible, science and history. www.bedellcurriculum.com

Because it is bible-centered, history that ties in is not chronological. He does tie in all history at appropriate points, but you can frequently jump from American to Egytian history in the same week for example. Because of this I do Sonlight now that the kids are older, but you could just as easily use any other chronological books along side it, like SOTW. Now if you don't mind jumping around in history you don't have to add anything at all.

Bedell is meant to be used from grades K - 6, but he also has research questions for children in grades 7-12. He told me that there were eventually going to be more things for high school, but that will be in future additions.

Bedell has a distinctly Baptist slant, but we have had no trouble adapting it when necessary.

Caroline,

Could you elaborate on this? What did you find difficult about it?

Thanks so much!

I didn't like the choices they recommended for the required resources. I wasn't fond of the readers, phonics, history books, etc. I found myself modifying almost everything except the prayer letters. Eventually I realized I wasn't going to stick with it because of all the modifications I was doing.

After I started Bedell I just dropped SOW. Later I added Sonlight for the history and read alouds. I follow the guide very loosely and we take much longer than the guide suggests, but so far the kids love all the books and have fun narrating them. :001_smile:

Hi Caroline,

I like the look of Bedell, but from the sample it looks like you're basically just reading the lesson to them, is that right? It's hard to tell from the sample because it covers such basics so I think that makes it not seem very meaty-1st chapter of Genesis, who God is, etc. I would love to hear even more about it-the topics listed in the Tables of Contents for each volume look so interesting! But it seems to just be a really light treatment of each topic-like the sci in the sample lesson just has a few paragraphs on atoms and then drops it.

They have a yahoo group. I used to use it. But only for about a year. We have 12 children and I just couldn't do a 'classroom' setting with so many at a time so I quit. It seemed to be a bit overwhelming but that could be because I have so many kids. Otherwise I liked it and we still use some of their ideas such as the prayer letters.:grouphug:

Check out SOW's yahoo group.

They have a yahoo group. I used to use it. But only for about a year. We have 12 children and I just couldn't do a 'classroom' setting with so many at a time so I quit. It seemed to be a bit overwhelming but that could be because I have so many kids. Otherwise I liked it and we still use some of their ideas such as the prayer letters.:grouphug:

Check out SOW's yahoo group.

Well, I am on the yahoo group, but all you are going to hear there is how much they like it. I am trying to get some other opinions from those who it didn't work for! Trying to look at both sides to make a decision. So, I would love to have a discussion here from those who do like it, don't like it, and are considering it.

Thanks Tricia for letting me know how it worked for you. Would you mind elaborating on why it didn't work for you? I have many children and probably more on the way, so I am looking at long term use also. Why would you say it doesn't work well with many children? I got the impression from the SOW information that it was created with the large family in mind.

Thanks for any comments and wisdom you all can share! :001_smile:

I found myself modifying almost everything except the prayer letters. :001_smile:

This is one of the things that appeals to me. Along with the indepth study of Bible characters and the geography of the Bible.

Do you think there would be anyway to come up with something like this on your own, without buying SOW?

Something like the prayer letters, character, and geography study?

It just seems like when using SOW your whole day is almost completely focused on the Bible---which I love the idea of, but is there a way to pull that off without using SOW?

This is one of the things that appeals to me. Along with the indepth study of Bible characters and the geography of the Bible.

Do you think there would be anyway to come up with something like this on your own, without buying SOW?

Something like the prayer letters, character, and geography study?

It just seems like when using SOW your whole day is almost completely focused on the Bible---which I love the idea of, but is there a way to pull that off without using SOW?

Yes, you could put your own things together. It would be vey personal that way, or you could modify SOW to suit your family too. SOW is really nice--I do really like it, but I just changed it so much I ended up losing my original intention.

When we did Bedell we really just expanded on the lessons with the internet or books.

We would read the bible and any additional science or history that stemmed from that. For instance, when we went through the 10 plagues of Egypt we spent a good deal of time gleaning for even more info on frogs, lice, flies, boils, etc. In that way it all tied back to the lesson. Notebooking would be a great tie in with Bedell...

Today we read a lesson about Jericho and how the captain of the host of the Lord met Joshua. This led into a lesson on the American armed services and the fact that our military is led by a civilian in order to help prevent a coup. He also touched on Revelations 19:11, 14 where it talks about the armies in heaven following Him... So a general understanding of armies was introduced through the battle of Jericho. Much more will be covered on this because the next few stories are all about battles so the volume will continue to expound on things like that.

I find it to be a very pick-up-and-go curriculum with the Bible as the starting point.

Right now I am just using it for our devotions, but for years I used it all by itself.

Does it have to be done in order? We'll be doing Genesis, etc., in depth when we do Ancients for history year after next, so I wanted to hit some other areas of the Bible now.

About how long does each lesson take if you're just reading it through with some discussion? I'm thinking about using it for devotion time rather than school. Thanks!

Does it have to be done in order? We'll be doing Genesis, etc., in depth when we do Ancients for history year after next, so I wanted to hit some other areas of the Bible now.

About how long does each lesson take if you're just reading it through with some discussion? I'm thinking about using it for devotion time rather than school. Thanks!

You can most definitely jump around within the volumes. He just finished volume 7 which covers the life of Christ. I just ordered that one. What is really nice about Bedell is that he always adds in verses from the NT while studying an OT lesson and visa versa. He covers both in each lesson so that the law and the gospel are covered in each lesson.

I use them for devotion and it takes anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on how much discussion takes place. I would say the average is 20 minutes if we read the lesson and have the kids narrate.

Each lesson is divided into two parts: one for K- 3 and a more in-depth one or 4-6 with research questions for 7-12.

I use Bedell a lot when we travel. It is very car friendly. or park friendly--you get the idea.

Now if I could compile SL style readers for each volume it would be perfect.:)

Hi Caroline,

I like the look of Bedell, but from the sample it looks like you're basically just reading the lesson to them, is that right? It's hard to tell from the sample because it covers such basics so I think that makes it not seem very meaty-1st chapter of Genesis, who God is, etc. I would love to hear even more about it-the topics listed in the Tables of Contents for each volume look so interesting! But it seems to just be a really light treatment of each topic-like the sci in the sample lesson just has a few paragraphs on atoms and then drops it.

The first volume is fairly light, but it does get more meaty and it also revisits topics over and over again. We often went on rabbit trails if something interested the kids, if it didn't, we moved on knowing we would come back to it again.

He is planning to key the volumes into high school level science texts like Apologia so that the older kids can expound on the lessons too.

An example of topics covered in volume 5:

Psychology 10 lessons

Sociology 14 lessons

Apologetics 7 lessons

Biology 28 lessons

Earth Science 8 lessons

Chemistry 6 lessons

Physics 10 lessons

World History 11 lessons

US History 17 lessons

Government 8 lessons

Ecomomics 6 lessons

The first volume is fairly light, but it does get more meaty and it also revisits topics over and over again. We often went on rabbit trails if something interested the kids, if it didn't, we moved on knowing we would come back to it again.

He is planning to key the volumes into high school level science texts like Apologia so that the older kids can expound on the lessons too.

An example of topics covered in volume 5:

Psychology 10 lessons

Sociology 14 lessons

Apologetics 7 lessons

Biology 28 lessons

Earth Science 8 lessons

Chemistry 6 lessons

Physics 10 lessons

World History 11 lessons

US History 17 lessons

Government 8 lessons

Ecomomics 6 lessons

If you were interested in doing SOTW for history, could you drop all the history lessons in the book or would it mess up the Bible lessons?

I'm going to use SOW. However, I'm only considering it for the Bible study, prayer letters, and possibly some of the literature study. I'm going to use HOD for the rest. I love how in-depth the Bible study is with SOW, and that's what I desire for my family. I've never seen anything else like it. Other Bible studies seem to be so light and full of other's opinions. I want my dc to be able to study and know the Bible backwards and forwards before they leave home. From what I've seen, using SOW will accomplish that. HOD will tie everything else in biblically.

If you were interested in doing SOTW for history, could you drop all the history lessons in the book or would it mess up the Bible lessons?

You could drop them, but sometimes it is kind of fun to see how he ties in history with the bible story. I don't think it would mess up SOTW or be confusing to just read and discuss what he has for history.

We used a timeline and just added the historical events to it as they came up.

My kids often remember the bible story better when they have another historical event to tie it with.

I'm going to use SOW. However, I'm only considering it for the Bible study, prayer letters, and possibly some of the literature study. I'm going to use HOD for the rest. I love how in-depth the Bible study is with SOW, and that's what I desire for my family. I've never seen anything else like it. Other Bible studies seem to be so light and full of other's opinions. I want my dc to be able to study and know the Bible backwards and forwards before they leave home. From what I've seen, using SOW will accomplish that. HOD will tie everything else in biblically.

I have used SOW for about 2 1/2 years. I have put it aside lately because my 7yods seems to have learning disabilities that are taking the bulk of my time. We are starting HOD next fall so that we can still be on the same page in history, science, storytime as they are basically read alouds. The older sib can then just do her math and R&S English and personal reading while I help the younger with math and reading. However, I love SOW. The straight Bible readings (which are very long after the first months) were too difficult for him and he was having a hard time with attentiveness and as a result-retention. However, He has done extremely well with Hurlbut's Story of the Bible (1904 edition). It uses the language of the Bible but tells the stories in a concise and interesting manner without being watered down much. It's the best I've seen in a children's Bible, IMO. SOW is teacher-intensive, but we only used it for Bible and some of the LA (not grammar or spelling). The Creative Writing topics are excellent. Many in apologetics. I am hoping to devise some way to adapt the SOW Bible worksheets to the Hurlbut's, though even that is a challenge for his fine motor-skills. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have to see which parts will work and which won't. How will you approach HOD Bible if doing SOW? Do Both? Or will you do SOW instead of?

Geo

Edited by Geo

We've only used SOW for Bible and some LA (not grammar or spelling). I don't care for the history or science, or much of the literature for that matter. Where history and science is concerned, it's weak...though the creation science in Year 1 may be more than most kids get. It's strengths are Bible and the skills used to study it. The creative writing portion are mini topical Bible studies such as:

"The Existence of God"

"Anger"

"Keeping Our Word"

"Priest"

"False Prophet"

"Living Water"

"Our Christian Inheritance"

"The Tabernacle", etc.

I also like the way the author walks the student through the writing process. If using it only for Bible/LA then try to buy it used. The cost new is just too high if only for one or two subjects. Though I did, and all six years at that. I like the worksheets (which are really notebooking pages) for the K-5 grades. To use it or not use it, like it or not like it, is highly individual. I love it...but then, I love the Bible. :o (not saying non-users don't) Using only Bible/LA took about 1 hour (with young children) on the average , which includes the Bible reading. Readings do run long after about 5 weeks, most people just summarize...(wince). It's not perfect, but nothing is.

Edited by Geo

How will you approach HOD Bible if doing SOW? Do Both? Or will you do SOW instead of?

Geo

I am probably going to do both. I will do our own scripture memorization, though.

When you were using SOW, how long did it take each day for just the Bible portion? I will probably do some of the creative writing. It looked good from the samples I saw.

I am probably going to do both. I will do our own scripture memorization, though.

When you were using SOW, how long did it take each day for just the Bible portion? I will probably do some of the creative writing. It looked good from the samples I saw.

If you don't mind my saying, time-wise, by your doing both you may consider using a good children's story Bible for the readings (after week 5), depending on the age of your kids. One would still need to refer to a regular Bible for "citing" scripture and looking things up. That does require some tweaking, but I am going to try. You could also just take your sweet time and read what you can each day, which could be weeks in some instances. But then, you would need to review before outlines. Even then, choosing only 4 important events or ideas over the span of 7 chapters can be hard for young kids. It would look more like :read one week, do the study the next week. Do you own your own SOW yet?

Geo

Geo

I had bought SOW used, and never felt like I could figure out how to pull it off. Also, I just felt like it was not quite as thorough as I wanted regarding topics like grammar, science, geography and history. I think it is a very good curriculum, but not good for me because I just need a little more user-friendly materials since I am scatter brained.:001_smile:

For another approach that center on Bible, check out the Heart of Wisdom teaching approach. I don't know their website address, but you could find it by googling, I am sure. They sell unit studies for this, but they are pricey. She sells a book called "The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach" that explains it and tells how you pull it together for yourself.

I hope you find something that you like. :)

I had bought SOW used, and never felt like I could figure out how to pull it off. Also, I just felt like it was not quite as thorough as I wanted regarding topics like grammar, science, geography and history. I think it is a very good curriculum, but not good for me because I just need a little more user-friendly materials since I am scatter brained.:001_smile:

For another approach that center on Bible, check out the Heart of Wisdom teaching approach. I don't know their website address, but you could find it by googling, I am sure. They sell unit studies for this, but they are pricey. She sells a book called "The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach" that explains it and tells how you pull it together for yourself.

I hope you find something that you like. :)

I have these books too. I loved her approach, but needed more handholding. I am a chronic box checker.:001_unsure: Too many choices on any given day scare me. She advocated notebooking through the bible each day--which is wonderful, but I am not the crafty type and my brain hurt trying to keep my kids organized and neat. If, however, you love being crafty then this is an AWESOME Bible based curriculum.

[quote: For another approach that center on Bible, check out the Heart of Wisdom teaching approach. I don't know their website address, but you could find it by googling, I am sure. They sell unit studies for this, but they are pricey. She sells a book called "The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach" that explains it and tells how you pull it together for yourself.

Personally, I tried Heart Of Wisdom before I found SOW.

It's not even as user friendly as SOW. HOW has lists of activities that you choose from and some internet links, that's it. I was very frustrated using it. It is not as Bible centered as it states. It has you going to all kinds of books to get further info from (history,science and even biblical topics) At least with SOW you can choose to do just the Bible/LA and be IN the Bible itself for your studies. Her take on New Testament studies is sooo hebraic it's odd. I have no issues with christianity's hebrew roots, she just focuses on them to exclusion of nearly everything else, leaving out entire books in the NT.

Geo

Edited by Geo

If you don't mind my saying, time-wise, by your doing both you may consider using a good children's story Bible for the readings (after week 5), depending on the age of your kids. One would still need to refer to a regular Bible for "citing" scripture and looking things up. That does require some tweaking, but I am going to try. You could also just take your sweet time and read what you can each day, which could be weeks in some instances. But then, you would need to review before outlines. Even then, choosing only 4 important events or ideas over the span of 7 chapters can be hard for young kids. It would look more like :read one week, do the study the next week. Do you own your own SOW yet?

Geo

Geo

I don't own SOW yet. The dc who I would be using it with are 9 and 10 (will be 11 in October) and I was thinking about getting an audio Bible that's the same translation as our Bibles and have them listen and follow along in their Bibles. I thought that might take a little less time. How long has it taken you in the past to do SOW Bible each day? I've looked at Hurlburt's Bible. I also have A Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos. Can you explain how it works, maybe give a day in the life of SOW Bible?

I don't own SOW yet. The dc who I would be using it with are 9 and 10 (will be 11 in October) and I was thinking about getting an audio Bible that's the same translation as our Bibles and have them listen and follow along in their Bibles. I thought that might take a little less time. How long has it taken you in the past to do SOW Bible each day? I've looked at Hurlburt's Bible. I also have A Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos. Can you explain how it works, maybe give a day in the life of SOW Bible?

Well, sad to say we never did the devotional reading at night with Dad..uh, we won't go there. My children were/are in the K-5 category, no older students. The Bible *meat* is contained in the Language Arts section, so actually the "Bible Lesson" is the "Language Arts Lesson", they are one in the same. Users just refer to it as Bible/LA. The worksheets mentioned are notebooking pages that come with the program. Here is a description:

Monday:

Reading:

Read the the assigned lesson (scripture). This can be done alone, silently or aloud, with family or one-on-one.

Narrative Outline: We would then discuss four main events and place them in order on the white board. K-5 kids (or thereabouts) draw their picures on the outline worksheet, giving attention to detail. Non-readers would discuss with parent. Each event is titled. Older children (grade 6 & up) would choose cover six events. They may draw or write the outline.

Penmanship/Memory Verse: * (this may be done on any day)

Copy key scripture verse from the lesson in student's best handwriting. Memorize throughout the week, always reviewing the previous ones you have learned.

Tuesday:

Vocabulary * (this may be done on any day)

Student locates the key word from lesson, a frequently repeated word the reading assignment or scripture memory. There are about 6 activities that follow and I would go into more detail but I believe it would violate the copyright, sorry.

Topical Study:

Using Bible reference materials, dictionary and concordance students (grade 6 & up) will write four pararagraphs on the topic for that week's lesson. K-5 students would discuss and illustrate and label the topic on whiteboard or worksheet, non-readers would discuss. Students find a related scripture verse (on their own-not directed) and copy it.

Wednesday:

Character

Following leading questions from TE or SE and using Bible reference materials, students (grades 6 & up) will develop and write a four paragraphs about the character assigned to this week's lesson. Again, I must maintain copyright. K-5 would illustrate and label using the workshee, non readers discuss.

Thursday

Setting

Using a Bible and/or Bible Atlas students draw a map of the location from week's lesson , labeling all places mentioned and marking important locations.

Friday

Commentary

Again, using Bible reference materials and TE/SE guide the student to develop and write a three paragraph (grade 6 & up) commentary on what was learned during the week's study. K-5 would do worksheets, non readers would participate by discussing these ideas with the parent.

This is not a dumbed down Bible course. Even young children begin this process by using the worksheets and discussion. They are a form of narration and help develop the child in foundations of thinking and writing. The TE has specific questions and leading ideas (for each paragraph) that help the student formulate essays based on what they have learned from their studies.

I hope this helps. It may not be what you wanted but the copyright law prevents me from posting it here. It may take some time to adapt to the program...it is alot of writing. An alternative is to have discussions centered around the questions in the TE, this is suggested in the TE for the "instructional readers' (non-readers?), the worksheets are another avenue. The age and speed of the transition to writing is not the immediate issue. The real goal is to get our children to the place where they are able to study and communicate the Word of God with confidence and skill...and I didn't even cover the Prayer Letters or Creative Writing portion, either. Writing this makes me fall in love with SOW all over again! The PRAYS letters are awesome for developing a love language to God. Ask me about that next

Audio Bibles work, as do DVD Bibles. A problem arises when the schedule calls for the entire book of Leviticus to be covered in one week! Different families have handled it in different ways.

It is flexible and can be tweaked to most families. My conflicts surround my son's learning issues and I am unsure how to get around that.

Geo

Edited by Geo

So, for those of you who have or do use it, do you think SOW could be used easily in conjunction with another program like My Father's World?

I want to use SOW for the Bible aspect, but don't know about the history/science/geography part of it :confused:.

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer.

Writing this makes me fall in love with SOW all over again! The PRAYS letters are awesome for developing a love language to God. Ask me about that next

Geo

Wow! Thanks for the information. It did help to see what is done each day. Although I'd still like a time estimate on how long it has taken you. Tell me how your other dc have done with it (besides ds7). Do you feel like they have learned a lot about God's Word? Are you going to try to use it along side HOD, as well?

Something much simpler, at least it seems to me, would be Bible Study Guide For All Ages. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it in anyway similar to SOW?

I really want us immersed in the Bible, but also want something more pulled together for the other subjects. Does that make sense?

Didn't you find that in Heart of Dakota (history, science, etc)? What was missing there? Was it Bible? Don't let my description of SOW scare you with all the writing. The worksheets go a long way in helping kids draw meaning from the readings without telling the kids what to think. It is inductive study. I don't want to be mean or anything, but Bible Study Guide For All Ages gives me the yawns.

Was that mean? If so, sorry.

Geo

Geo

Edited by Geo

Wow! Thanks for the information. It did help to see what is done each day. Although I'd still like a time estimate on how long it has taken you. Tell me how your other dc have done with it (besides ds7). Do you feel like they have learned a lot about God's Word? Are you going to try to use it along side HOD, as well?

I was working with one lower elementary child and it took about 1 hour to 1hour & 15 minutes, on the average. That was with our altered reading schedule, discussion, writing PRAYS letters and doing the worksheets- coloring, writing and all. My just turned 10yodd was pencil resistant then and could be kind of pokey. We started when she was at the end of 1st grade and continued through sometime last year (3rd grade). Reviewing it for you helped me to take another look at it. I think she has grown and is up to more serious writing now, though I would tend to be gentle rather than rush it. I tried incorporating my son just this year...no go. He is probably ADHD, to put it mildly. He is struggling with fine motor skills, attentiveness and retention. He has significantly delayed skills. He does great with me reading aloud but straight-up Bible is an exception. He loves the Hurlbut's 1904 edition. He begs me to read it everyday. I can also read aloud to him lots of other (rather advanced) CM style books, as long as they have a "story-telling" quality. SOW worksheets are still beyond him because of poor fine motor skills. He tires soooo easily and becomes very frustrated and frazzled. I am not comfortable using SOW exclusively even for her, for his sake. I don't even want to ignore him while I help her- at least not too much. He is the one with the greater needs right now. I also want there to be greater unity and togetherness in our day and I want to keep us learning together. We will be doing (HOD) Bigger with both of them, with extensions for her and additional science. He does extremely well with me reading the books aloud. He has an outstanding vocabulary. I have special math and reading lessons for him and he is showing progress. I will re-evaluate the situation summer 2010. I hope to have her in Preparing (HOD) or Hearts For Him by then. When we were doing SOW, my daughter wrote a "book" titled, "The King Of Heaven". This was by her own motivation and I had no part in it. Actually, it was a "secret" book that I happened upon while changing the sheets on her bed. Remember: writing was NOT her forte' at the time. It was basically a book of psalms written from her own little heart. They read just like the Psalms...only we hadn't studied them. I believe that she was responding to the Spirit of God in worship of Him...that's why her psalms read like "THE" Psalms, it was the same Spirit that was in David. She's drifted from that since, and I believe it's because we have not been IN the Word an hour or more a day since we stopped sowing (more like 20 min?). I believe it was directly the result of time spent interacting with HIM, the Living Word. Certainly some of it was helped by writing PRAYS letters...but a book? That's my take. And yes, she learned alot of the Word as well. We studied mostly out of the NT those 2 years. As far as using SOW next fall...after my own testimony, wouldn't I be stupid not to? I haven't received my HOD book yet, I can't say (yet) whether I would do both or not.

Geo

Edited by Geo

Didn't you find that in Heart of Dakota (history, science, etc)? What was missing there? Was it Bible?

Geo

I wouldn't say HOD had us immersed in the Bible. That is what I am looking for and what it sounds like SOW would give us, am I right?

I just keeping hearing people say it is not enough in other areas. So, I am wondering how to use it for just the Bible portion. I don't know if it would be too much to try to do SOW AND another program. That is my question I guess.

I wouldn't say HOD had us immersed in the Bible. That is what I am looking for and what it sounds like SOW would give us, am I right?

From pooring over the samples, I agree that HOD doesn't have one immersed in the Bible. I guess that's why I am considering SOW, as well. I think that if I cut some portion of HOD, I will be able to use both.

From pooring over the samples, I agree that HOD doesn't have one immersed in the Bible. I guess that's why I am considering SOW, as well. I think that if I cut some portion of HOD, I will be able to use both.

It's true, it's hard to be immersed in something without spending the necessary time- on that something.

I may have to spend time catching up on history by reading to them at night, before bed. On the other hand, I don't think a person, especially a child, has to write essays to learn about or draw near to God. In fact, if we push a child to perform we run the risk of hardening their heart. I read a very short article about

not pushing children too hard where God is concerned.

I'll share it here: http://www.godlyplay.org/view.php/page/lefthand

(I make Godly Play resources to use in our children's church.)

I am beginning to think that the K-5 worksheets, even just the discussion, especially in the introductory months of SOW, are completely satisfactory, if that's what the child needs to be comfortable with it. They will be getting their language arts elsewhere. I don't even know if it will be necessary to forego HOD Bible. HOD's Bible seems to be more devotional in nature, rather than a Bible study. Devotional is good. It sets hearts to thinking. Besides, I can't imagine those discussions taking very long at all. Of course, all this is just conjecture. I need to get my Bigger manual and try to get a feel for what is expected overall. I love that it ministers to the heart of the child, that goes a long way with me. It comes highly recommended by a dear woman (and user) that I respect. I will try to spend some time seeing if I can adapt the SOW lessons to my Hurlbut's. I am expecting that I will need to settle on discussion alone with my 7yods...unless there is a breakthrough with his motor skills. Keep on the lookout for used SOW's. I've seen alot of them going for $50 - $75. I've even seen a II-VI set sell for $75...salt in the wound after paying full retail, OUCH!

Geo

quote: My just turned 10yodd was pencil resistant then and could be kind of pokey.

ERROR!

My dd started sowing (worksheets portion) shortly after turning 7 and continued through her 8th year. She is now "just turned 10". She began PRAYS letters after turning 6 when she was able to read and write on her own.

Sorry, too much writing too late in the day.

Geo

Geo, I want to thank you for taking the time to write out your week, and the other posts. A df and I have been wondering for a long time how SOW works and this helped a lot! I wish they would share more on their website-I think more people would really like this if they could just get a feel for how it works! Thanks again!

[quote: For another approach that center on Bible, check out the Heart of Wisdom teaching approach. I don't know their website address, but you could find it by googling, I am sure. They sell unit studies for this, but they are pricey. She sells a book called "The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach" that explains it and tells how you pull it together for yourself.

Personally, I tried Heart Of Wisdom before I found SOW.

It's not even as user friendly as SOW. HOW has lists of activities that you choose from and some internet links, that's it. I was very frustrated using it. It is not as Bible centered as it states. It has you going to all kinds of books to get further info from (history,science and even biblical topics) At least with SOW you can choose to do just the Bible/LA and be IN the Bible itself for your studies. Her take on New Testament studies is sooo hebraic it's odd. I have no issues with christianity's hebrew roots, she just focuses on them to exclusion of nearly everything else, leaving out entire books in the NT.

Geo

First... HI GEO.. :)

Second, I have to agree with Geo. The HOW is not as biblically centered as SOW. I am a new SOWer.. bought it used this year. I am STILL not settled on how to use it all... but, I do love the Prays letters and the bible part is MUCH more in depth than anything I have used.

LaRessie

aka momuv4girls:D

We have been enjoying a wonderful resource this year. It really helps bring understanding to biblical concepts of Conscience, Sin, etc. The title is:

"With The Children On Sundays" by Sylvanus Stall.

It was written circa 1911 and is absolutely charming.

Grace and Truth books carry a paperback reprint of the original, but antique copies can still be found on ww.addall.com.

You can look inside here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9e9WY7LK2w0C&pg=PA332&lpg=PA332&dq=with+the+children+on+sunday+by+sylvanus+stall&source=bl&ots=UMQIPfjUEM&sig=2snP72ZeJIsTWvavLD-3ztvrPBE&hl=en&ei=767oSa6cMJC0tgfu18HYBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#PPA321,M1

Geo

• 2 years later...
Guest graciousmommy_44

I used SOW for 7 years. I ca n only say wonderful things about the curriculum. We are taking a mini break right now . I bought many of the suggested materials but also used some of my own. It is a great and valuable deep study of the Bible. I love the Prays letters, spelling and even the grammar and especially all of the papers they write-character,topical, etc.I did supplement some but it is set up to be used flexibly to meet the needs of the family. For the first few years we followed the reading schedule but because of my challenged children, we then went to a chapter a day. Much slower but we gleaned so much!! I cannot recommend it high enough and would be happy to answer any questions.

• 9 years later...

We used SOW curriculum for 7 yrs. It is a wonderful curriculum!! We used it the way it was or adapted it when we could not get a resource.  The spelling was an especially a perfect fit for my oldest son who was not succeeding in spelling up to the pt we started SOW. It opened the door for them to apply the Word to their life. The yahoo group was a huge blessing back then. One gal created several printables that helped.