Menu

Life of Fred? for those who have used it...

Once

I'm looking to find out just how much division a child needs to know in order to start the Life of Fred books?

Dd is on long division and can divide simple questions with remainders. She is unable to divide if decimals are required or if there is a divisor with double digits.

Can she start the first LOF book with the basics of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division?

I'm looking to find out just how much division a child needs to know in order to start the Life of Fred books?

Dd is on long division and can divide simple questions with remainders. She is unable to divide if decimals are required or if there is a divisor with double digits.

Can she start the first LOF book with the basics of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division?

I think so.

We haven't started yet - but I looked through it and figured that we needed a little more foundation before we started. My goal is that she understands all you mentioned and has her multiplication facts memorized. Then we shall start LOF.

What is it about double digit divison that is sooo hard? My daughter is having fits over it and with MUS we cannot just go on. She really wants to start LoF and I want her to be doing some type of math each day but she is just not ready for DDD.

So, you have not had problems moving forward with LoF without your son knowing advanced division? Would it be OK to move on under these cirrcumstances.

Sue, what is your opinion about whether a child should go on with the first book? Have you noticed a *need* for full understanding of advanced division to do the Fractions book?

Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by Once

We just finished the fractions book and I think your child would need to be able to divide with double digit divisors. We really like Fred, and have moved on to the Decimals book and plan to use it for Algebra next year. Good luck with the division thing, it took my dd quite a while to get the hang of it.

Amy

What is it about double digit divison that is sooo hard? My daughter is having fits over it and with MUS we cannot just go on. She really wants to start LoF and I want her to be doing some type of math each day but she is just not ready for DDD.

So, you have not had problems moving forward with LoF without your son knowing advanced division? Would it be OK to move on under these cirrcumstances.

Double digit division is just tough. We camped there for weeks on end.

Sue, what is your opinion about whether a child should go on with the first book? Have you noticed a *need* for full understanding of advanced division to do the Fractions book?

Actually, I have no opinion. I just copied from the website. We started LoF with Algebra. I think you ought to contact the author and ask him. He's been very responsive to my questions and I've heard the same from anyone else who has contacted him.

Good luck!