Menu

1st grade reading

mlbuchina

I am probably stressing about this way more than I should, but I am not sure how to do reading. I have read the section in WTM about reading in 1st-4th, but I can't wrap my head around it. :confused: Book selections are a problem, and when to fit them in. Are we supposed to read selections from the Ancients any time, or only when we get to that time period in the history? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Again, I am sure I am stressing about it way too much, and once we get into the new school year it will come together. At least, I hope! :blink:

We just picked away at the reading list throughout the year as general read-alouds. We just tried to read off the Ancients list for 1st grade and didn't worry about when that year we read something. We did use the SOTW Activity Guide for History reading selections that pertained to particular time periods though.

For 1st grade (last year and next year at our house). I read stuff for history and literature from the SOTW AG. There are so many good suggestions that I could get at the library. We also read science books out loud together - last year we did life sciences (animals, people & plants), we didn't do any experiments, but we did a lot of reading.

We worked on finishing the OPGTR before the start of second grade. We read Bob books and any other phonics readers I could find. We also read any library books that caught our attention.

you will find that it's all spelled out for you there.

Each chapter contains a list of suggested books to read, including topical books (eg, How the pyramids were built), biographies, and literature selections.

I was confused about this initially too; someone here suggested that perhaps my confusion arose because TWTM was published before the AGs were available.

HTH!