Menu

Horizon's Math

macilustr8

I am interested in hearing from those who have used Horizon's Math for elementary school grades and what you think of it. It's strengths and weaknesses. I have been using it for 1st and 2nd after using Saxon Math for K and I am afraid that although it is quite good is some respects, it is lacking in others (ex.- mental math). So I guess I am asking, what has been your experience with this program and how has it worked for your children as they progress in math, as well as how do they test on Standardized tests.

Thanks!

Amy, FL

I have used it with 4 kids all the way through and 2 more are currently in the K and 4th grade books.

My kids have all excelled in math. Horizons has definitely provided all of them with solid basics for upper level math. My oldest is taking cal 3 right now and making 100s on all of his exams. My 10th grader has a very high A in alg 2 at his private school. And my 6th and 8th graders are managing Foersters alg 1 with no problems.

FWIW....I don't think that Horizons lacks mental math. It doesn't teach the way SM does, but it provides opportunities for application of concepts.

I used Horizon's math all the way through for my eldest dd. She always scored above average in math sections of tests. When she was finished with Horizons 6, she tested clearly ready for Algebra 1. I had her take the placement tests for math programs. She is much stronger in math than most of her friends that used other math programs (Saxon included) I am using Horizons again with my other children, they seem to following the same path as there older sister.

lynda

My dd's use Horizons and I think it is an extremely thorough, sound, rigorous math program. I honestly can't think of any weaknesses with it. We do, however, supplement with Singapore Challenging Word Problems and SM Intensive Practice in the summers. I only do this because we "do math" year round and I like to expose my children to a variety of material. If I had to pick only 1 --- Singapore or Horizons, I would go with Horizons hands down.

Good Luck!!