Menu

9 y/o with Rotavirus?!?

I have 19 years of experience as a Pediatric nurse. I was surprised to learn that my son's stool tested positive for Rotavirus. I'd never seen it in a child over the age of six.

My 4 y/o and 7 y/o had it first. This all started one week ago. They weren't as sick as my nine y/o though.

Sunday at 12 AM he started with vomiting and diarrhea. Monday he lost all color, turned white as a ghost, and ended up just laying down spread eagle on our bathroom rug. My husband had to carry him into the doctor's office. They sent us to the ER for dehydration. We had to go there two nights in a row.

It was a little alarming as this is an extremely lean and slender boy with little body fat. I learned on Tuesday that his weight was down six pounds already.

The second night they told me his blood work showed metabolic acidosis. After nine hours in the ER, we were admitted Tuesday night. We were discharged today at 1 PM.

The first day he was the only patient on the pediatric unit. :)

Today, I was glad he was discharged because a baby was admitted with RSV across the hall from us.

God blessed us all throughout. I'm grateful that my mother in law took time off from work and was able to sit with my son in the hospital while I went home to do laundry.

I was able to find babysitters for my other two children and stay overnight with my hospitalized son. I appreciated having a guest tray for all meals.

I had a lot of energy throughout but now I'm totally wiped out.

All four of my children have it right now...ages from 1 to 11. It is really, really bad in our area right now.

So glad your ds is doing better! When my 4 yr old was just 10 months old, he contracted it from the Children's Hospital when we took him for a minor surgery. He was hospitalized for almost two weeks! It was horrible. Also when my 2 yr old was 17 months, he got the virus and it took NINE sticks to get an iv on him. Also horrible!

I think my boys have a very weak immunity to the Rotavirus for some reason.

Bless your heart! Adrenaline will keep you going through a crisis (I lived on it while my son was hospitalized for 22 days LOL), but that crash is hard! Hopefully your son is feeling better, and he will be back to his cheery self in a couple of days.

At least he got it now and not in a few years when it may have been even worse.

Hi Brenda. Thanks for your kind note. He is still not himself but I'm happy to see his color return.

J. was very quiet in the hospital. We could hardly hear him speak. He said he didn't feel good. The pediatrician was upset that he couldn't get him to smile. Others, including me, were upset that he wouldn't speak louder.

The funny thing is he started to talk a mile a minute once Bruce got home. LOL.

I'm glad you're coming down next month! Yay! We miss you too.

I hope your family recovers quickly. Rota is yucky.

I surprised though that you are surprised your 9 yr old had rota. Really? Anyone can get it at any age. When my 14 month old had it (and was in the hospital) DH and I also came down with it. I was so sick that my Dr. wanted to put me in the hospital. My MIL came over to help because all three of us were sick. Well, then she got it.

Rotavirus is not just an illness that young children get.

Kleine Hexe,

Thanks for your get well soon wishes!

Yes, I know that people of all ages get Rotavirus.

I should have written that I was surprised that it affected a nine year old to the point that he had to be hospitalized. I've never known of anyone past the age of six hospitalized for Rotavirus. The nurses at the hospital were surprised too.

~Karen~

Kleine Hexe,

Thanks for your get well soon wishes!

Yes, I know that people of all ages get Rotavirus.

I should have written that I was surprised that it affected a nine year old to the point that he had to be hospitalized. I've never known of anyone past the age of six hospitalized for Rotavirus. The nurses at the hospital were surprised too.

~Karen~

Ah, that makes more sense. ;) Yeah, I was supposed to be hospitalized when I had it and I was 27. I begged and pleaded with my Dr. to not admit me. She reluctantly agreed under the condition of getting a shot to stop the vomiting, and if I promised to see her the next morning. I agreed and the next day she still wanted to admit me, but I bargained again. This time she agreed to give me IV fluids in her office, and I had to agree to not nurse for 24 hours. So by begging her I was able to stay out of the hospital myself.

Is everyone on the mend now?