Menu

"Mystery of the Periodic Table" or "Exploring the World of Chemistry" by Tiner...

Tami

Okay Tami, tell me you're pulling together a fabulous study using The Elements (McHenry) and living books, and I'm gonna love you! :)

If you're not, then The Elements might be just the thing you're looking for. It's both quirky and fun from what I can tell of the samples. I have it coming in a Rainbow order.

I'm actually not looking for curriculum, but just one excellent living book to round out our study. I have my spine ready and scheduled already. :D I can't decide between the two, so hopefully someone will chime in before I resort to a coin toss.

What age group are you wanting to use this for? I bought Exploring the World of Chemistry when my older boys were 10 & 11. They thought it was terribly boring, and we ended up dropping it that year. A few years later, when they were 13 & 14, they really enjoyed it.

I haven't seen Mystery of the Periodic Table. My 14yo (almost 15) really liked The Periodic Kingdom this year, but it may be too detailed for elementary schoolers.

I've got both and I like them both. Mystery is written in a more playful tone, but it just covers the history of the formation of the periodic table. It truly is a fascinating story and this is a book I recommend to people just for fun reading (adults!).

Tiner's book covers more topics and is highly illustrated. As a kid, I think I would've preferred this one just because it has lots of pictures:).

If you can swing it, I'd get both. The thing about Mystery is it tells the story of the periodic table and how the scientists involved made mistakes along the way and how the scientists that came along later built on that previous knowledge. It is a fascinating story but it doesn't get into the way these elements are used in everyday life and in the products we use.

Tiner gets into the history of the Table, but not in as orderly a fashion. It does go into more detail about the elements though and again, I think the illustrations help demonstrate some of the science that is explained.

OK, I rambled. I hope that helps

This is for 7th grade, btw.

I appreciate everyone's helpful answers so far. Decisions, decisions!

I am using a highly illustrated spine and lots of hands-on, and just wanted a bit of something with a fun flair to add in. Engaging is more important than "instructional," and I really need to choose one book or the other.

I am getting Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood for myself, but that is more of an adult book. I wish there was something like Uncle Tungsten for jr. highers.

Edited by Tami

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Mystery. It's written in a more engaging manner (although I wouldn't say Tiner's is dull). One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Mystery is from a non-Christian viewpoint. Tiner's is from a Christian viewpoint.

Wiker, the author of Mystery, is almost comical, in a sad sort of way, in his astonishment and amazement at how orderly the periodic table is - how everything fits together so nicely and works out so precisely - and yet he never acknowledges the need for a designer for it to work out that way. Still, I loved the book and will have all my children read it.

This is for 7th grade, btw.

I appreciate everyone's helpful answers so far. Decisions, decisions!

I am using a highly illustrated spine and lots of hands-on, and just wanted a bit of something with a fun flair to add in. Engaging is more important than "instructional," and I really need to choose one book or the other.

I am getting Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood for myself, but that is more of an adult book. I wish there was something like Uncle Tungsten for jr. highers.

I have an upcoming 7th grader too...what are you using for the spine and hands-on?

We're reading The Mystery of the Periodic Table now. I'm actually reading it out loud to my first and fourth graders. They really like it. Even the first grader follows along and enjoys it. It may be alittle "young" for a 7th grader, unless you are strictly looking for a fun, light read. A 7th grader could read it quite quickly on his/her own. It's an interesting story. I wish someone had taken the time to explain the periodic table to me in the way that this book explains it. I probably would have enjoyed high school chemistry alot more.

I have an upcoming 7th grader too...what are you using for the spine and hands-on?

I'm using "Chemical Interactions" by Prentice Hall, along with the extra labs in the Lab Zone Planner and in "Chemical Interactions" by Delta Science (DSM II). I am smitten with the P-H series, because of the way it encourages inquiry and curiosity, serves a variety of learning styles, has a gorgeous visual presentation, and is really easy to teach. The internet links and discovery activities are a hit here!

I'm using "Chemical Interactions" by Prentice Hall, along with the extra labs in the Lab Zone Planner and in "Chemical Interactions" by Delta Science (DSM II). I am smitten with the P-H series, because of the way it encourages inquiry and curiosity, serves a variety of learning styles, has a gorgeous visual presentation, and is really easy to teach. The internet links and discovery activities are a hit here!

I'm planning on using the Prentice Hall "Physical Science" bind-up from the Science Explorer series myself. :) I haven't looked at the Delta Science DSM II stuff before though. I'll have to check that out.