Menu

If a student's career goals were something in computer repair/troubleshooting...

... how would you recommend he prepare for that, both in terms of high school and post secondary ed?

Does anyone have any feel for whether it is a reasonable career goal?

Any other thoughts or comments?

FYI, my son is in 10th grade, scholastically does okay, has had Alg 1 & 2 (via Videotext) and is currently in Geometry.

Thanks so much!

My husband is a computer systems engineer but when I recently needed to have the hinges replaced on my laptop, we turned to a bright 20 year whom we know. 20-something is an intern at my husband's company where he assists with computer repair and phone lines while working on a four year Information Technology degree at the university (focus more on software and applications.) Much of 20-something's computer skills are self taught. People have given him old computers with which he has tinkered or repaired using manuals that are downloaded from the Internet.

By the way, my particular repair was going to cost $300 if I returned the laptop to the company. 20-something charged $50 after we ordered the replacement parts (another $50) from the Internet. With rates like these, the word has gotten out. Whether he sticks with the corporate world or grows a business from this is to be determined.

You may want to see what your CC offers as a way of getting started.

Best,

Jane

... how would you recommend he prepare for that, both in terms of high school and post secondary ed?

Does anyone have any feel for whether it is a reasonable career goal?

My dh is a computer tech trainer in his company. They like to train techs their own way. Your best bet is to have your ds talk to several computer repair companies in your area. Ask them what training/education they look for in tech applicants.

FYI-- Most of the higher ups at dh's job are college drop-outs, including the owner of the company and the president. Not that a college degree would hurt but I thought I would mention that.

My son(15yo) is doing CLP Computer Repair and Updating (Community college textbook with CLP workbooks) when he completes the course he will be ready to take the Comp TIA certification(this is a beginning level) the last section of the book suggest other certification that someone in the field may need

This is my son's favorite "credit"

He is following a college prep course load but all the electives he has chosen have been computer knowledge base

I don't know very much about computer but my son does enjoy the curriculum

My ds is also using Videotext and is academically average with math. He really doesn't enjoy math.

I doubt my ds would pursue Computer Science or Engineering because of the many math classes they would require. He really hates math, although he does ok.

I just believe in letting him follow his interest, this has really motivated him in other academic areas

I will also second that most of the computer business owners I know are self taught

Edited by Cafelattee

My son(15yo) is doing CLP Computer Repair and Updating (Community college textbook with CLP workbooks) when he completes the course he will be ready to take the Comp TIA certification(this is a beginning level) the last section of the book suggest other certification that someone in the field may need

I had come across this months ago, but had forgotten about it. Thanks so much for reminding me!

Since his previous company was bought last year ;) my dh works for Compucom, an IT outsourcing company. He is doing networking, rollouts and hardware, etc. They have huge retail contracts, and banking, insurance, and other stuff, too. Before that he worked for himself for many years and before that he worked as a network admin.

His company looks for hands-on experience and certifications. So far as we can tell, they do not provide ANY on the job training except for some client specific training, like certain printer certs,etc. Same for his previous employer. Sure they do tuition reimbursement and will pay for you to do cert tests but you have to know your stuff to get in.

My ds is doing the networking degree at the CC and working on certs. He is a Linux guy and his goals for the next 2 years are approximately -

-AA degree

-Cisco CCNA cert

-Comptia A+, Security+, Linux+

-Redhat cert - maybe

-GIAC something- Maybe

-LPIC (Linux) cert

-Do contract installs, short-term rollouts, etc. for the temp places whenever possible. His dad is about to take on a large networking job on the side, so this will give him a lot of experience.

After all of that, he will plan according to the job market, haha.

There are many, many people in his classes this term that have dropped because they have no background to handle the material. He is the only person passing the Cisco prep exams that his networking class is taking and it's because of his exposure outside the class.

Your ds needs to get experience in different OS and w/different hardware. Here, CC classes have little hands-on time so I would try to get an "in" for him at a local repair shop, if possible. Also give him access to as much "stuff" as you can - hardware, software, routers, etc. My dh is mostly a Windows OS guy; my ds learned ALL of his Unix and Linux stuff on his own. :001_smile:

hth,

Georgia

Practical experience would be a huge help. At our co-op (public school partnership) some of our kids have partnered with the tech-support as a volunteer to help do certain tasks for them. This gives them some experience and lets them know if this would really be something they would be good at. Maybe your child could volunteer to do this somewhere.