Menu

Vet or vet-tech who can answer questions? (X-post w/High School Board)

Ds 15 is interested in bovine reproductive technologies (AI, ET) but might not be a good candidate for vet school. I want to know if a person can get trained and/or certified in ET procedures without vet school. I wasn't sure if typical vet tech programs would include this type of training, or if it might be offered in "short course" format through universities. His primary goal would be doing all the AI and ET work on our own herd, so I think he would be exempt from state licensing laws, if that is a concern. I really just wanted to know what options might be available to him if he wanted to learn these technologies outside of vet school. Any help or suggestions?

Thank you!

There is something like an AI technician, I know because we have them in Minnesota. As far as ET I am not sure they would be trained to do that as well but there are ET vets that he could train with I'm sure and then be able to do it at your farm unless the equipment is too expensive. At vet school I had the privilege of working with Mel Fahning who is one of the pioneers of bovine ET and has trained people around the world. He is now retired.

Also, I would not rule-out vet school. Let him apply if it is something he really wants to do. I had all types in my class and all of them are still in practice, teaching, or research and thriving.

If you google "bovine AI" a bunch of schools come up and I just noticed one of them included ET, so there you go.

It really depends on your state laws.

In PA we have a local AI plant that is mainly run by technicians with an overseeing vet. The technicians do all of the AI's, husbandry, everything.

So, it could certainly work that way. Also, if that is what he is interested in then I would go for it. However, if he is interested in vet school vs. technicians then I would still go for that as both fields really are quite different.

My school in PA did have a semester of training on this for horses and cows BUT as I said we had a local, professional clinic to use for this so we all rotated there for ~ 2 months.

Wish him luck.