Menu

Need wisdom: baseball for 5 yr. olds?

Hi Everyone,

I'm still new to home schooling, but am getting more fanatical about it as the days go by.

In January I signed my boys up for T Ball that starts at the end of March. Now that the time is almost here, I'm having reservations. I'd love your feedback. Here's why I'm thinking no:

1) dh comes home around 4:00 p.m. and takes them to the river every day. It's special for all of them and gives me time to make dinner, clean up etc. Everyone's happy and peaceful after.

2) since leaving ps, we've become more family oriented and the boys aren't around kids who have a negative influence. Mostly we're seeing only home school kids and I like that. I don't really want them exposed to kids with a different set of values. Huge groups of them at least.

3) They're almost six and I'm realizing that this time when they're young and family oriented is fleeting -- and I'm thinking why give them a huge external project like T Ball (practice during the week, game every weekend, meetings for the parents; it's involved).

4) I wanted them to have some spring swim lessons (we're in Ca) and it would conflict with the T Ball.

5) One of my boys is built and acts athletically and I think he'll shine in baseball like my dad did. But, as dh says: how is that skill useful in the long run? Dh would rather they swim, take piano etc. etc.

I'm so torn. Anybody have a thought on this? Am I being silly?

Please don't throw tomatoes at me if your kids are in ps -- we have friends in ps and I know there are many wonderful children in it.

Thanks,

Alicia

:lurk5:

I'm debating the exact same thing but with a 9 year-old. We hadn't played prior to this year and he wanted to try it. It takes up a LOT OF TIME, and I think I'd prefer something with a more predictable schdule like swim team.

Here's something for you to consider, however. My son, by not playing at ages 5,6,and 7, is now significantly behind the other boys. Bottom of the barrel, if you will. He says that's okay with him, but it's sort of hard to watch. No mom wants to see her son teased. We'll need to be practicing on our own a lot if he decides to stay on the team.

So, if you think you'll want him playing later, it might make sense to have him begin now.

Aaron played baseball for years -- from 8 to 15. He grew tired of the players themselves acting so immature and foolish all the time.

Nathan played T-ball, and I about went out of my mind watching the ball whizz by his head while he picked dandelions. One time he almost got pelted hard with it.

No more baseball at that age. Honestly, it was overwhelming and disruptive to our family when Aaron was in baseball. Four days a week -- at least -- were spent on it, and it hindered family activities.

I am in no hurry to sign either of the boys up for it.

I'd much rather have them in something that is once a week outside of the home. Sports are not that important to us.

Then there was selling candy, and the carnival and raffles, etc. ugh

From the perspective of a swim instructor and water safety fanatic, I would go for swimming first.

My older two were swimming well at 4 and started summer swim team at 6. That meant oldest ds had spring and fall free at age 5 and to begin trying team sports--tee ball-spring, soccer--fall.

I have to agree with the idea that you need to get some skills in these activities younger. I find it's true for all sports today. When I was a child, some sports could be started later --age 10 or 12 and still not have a big learning curve. If you have reservations about getting into a "team" now, you might want to look for a community multisport class. Our rec dept has a class that meets weekly for 4-7 year olds and introduces 3 or 4 team sports during a session.

Another place to consider to for intro team sports is Upward programs. I have friends who's kids started in these "later" and found them to be a great experience.

Now, my plug for swimming follows, which you can skip if you want:

But I personally would focus on nothing but swimming in terms of sports, until the skill is strong and then I'd keep it up as a seasonal recreational activity (summer swim team) for several years. Team sports could be done in other seasons. The thing is soccer is fun and swimming can save your life. This is essential as your child gets older and is doing things independently. People do really stupid stuff between the ages of 12 and 25. It's truly amazing how many of us live through that period. My high school class mate went swimming in a lake, his friends thought he was joking about needing help (no life jackets were worn among these teens). His friends realized too late it was no joke. Another pair of classmates of mine survived the sinking of a charter boat in their 30s because one of them had been a lifeguard in his teens and knew what to do for both of them.

Finally, my youngest has disabilities and does not swim yet. He loves the pool. He goes 3 times a week--group lesson, private lesson and me. It's frustrating, but I'm going to keep it up as long as it takes.

My son played baseball at age 5 and every year since...for the most part the other kids and parents have been wonderful. I'll never forget his first coach...a kind, gentle, encouraging man. These days he plays on a homeschool league where we play other Christian schools.

That son is now playing his final varsity season. as a senior. I'm sad that I won't be in the bleachers (freezing) and watching him play next year. He is sad that his baseball days are mostly over. He is good, maybe he will play in college. It's a little hard for a homeschool player to get noticed by colleges.

One more thing...T-ball is one of the most entertaining sports ever. Little tykes run to third instead of first. Everyone needs their shoes tied constantly. And entire games stop when an outfielder loses a tooth. I'm very glad I didn't miss it.

Ask your boys what they would like to do. Then do it as a family and enjoy.

Blessings in your decision.

If you'd rather him be in swimming and it's a conflict, then it's a no-brainer, and I certainly agree that it can be life-saving to know how to swim, especially if they spend time by a river, like you mentioned.

However, I think there is a lot of positive things to be said about team sports: good sportsmanship, working as a team, pulling for/supporting each other, as well as developing gross motor skills. My youngest son was five last year when he started t-ball and he picked his share of grass, rocks, and flowers, but he also hit the ball a few times and was tremendously proud of himself, he made a couple friends who had similar interests, he became a little more confident in his abilities, and he HAD FUN!

It doesn't have to be t-ball, though; it certainly it can be soccer in the fall, the swim team, flag football, etc. We've tried to have our sons involved in an individual sport (they both enjoy tai chi and kung fu as well as swimming in the spring and summer), and a team sport (they both like baseball in the spring and my youngest has also chosen flag football in the fall). My oldest has been playing the piano for five years, too, and my youngest is about to start.

It is busy in the spring with both of my sons in baseball, but I wouldn't change our time at the ball fields for much, especially since they both love the game. I would encourage you to try your child at a team sport (if he wants to), even if it's not with homeschoolers. My oldest son, who is 11, is in baseball and boy scouts and we've had very positive experiences with both.

Just my two cents...

PAM

My oldest DS10, has been playing baseball since he was four. Plays every spring, and sometimes in the fall. He also plays other team sports, such as swimming, soccer (not anymore but when younger), basketball, flag football. He loves all sports and is naturally athletic. Going to his practices and games was often his motivator for good behavior.

My middle DS6, has also tried T-ball, 2 seasons, and soccer. He does not really like either, would much prefer to sit on the bench and socialize, is not interesting in "competing" for anything. He is currently doing Karate, and loves it. He is not as naturally athletic as my older son.

That being said, I think that participation in teams sports is a important skill to learn. It doesn't have to be hard-core, it doesn't have to be cut-throat, but it should be a learning experience that everyone has.

The question is, has your son shown a interest? If he is interested, then why not give him a chance to participate. If it doesn't work out, then you don't do it again. It's only 3-4 months. At least he had the opportunity to give it a try. I always think that anyone could be a good singer, or dancer, or whatever, like all of those famous stars, if they had the training that those people did.

In our five years of HSing, it sometimes makes me sad when I see alot of other HSers who just seem so uncoordinated and lacking in the team games/sports aspect. My older DS goes to Homeschool PE, and so many of those children have no idea how to play basball, flag football, soccer, etc. You don't have to be the best at it, but you should know the basics.

Yeah, life will be hectic, but as your children grow up and start participating in different activities, that's just going to be life for a while. Whether it is team sports, or musical activities, or art, or whatever path, practices, games, recitals, etc will start to take up your time.

As far as the other children, we have had a few that we weren't fond of , and a few that we loved. That's kind of life, and we can't keep our children away from the "bad seeds" forever, but instead just hope to be close enough when it happens to help our own children through the situation.