Menu

Need Advice about an employee

With the recession, we are forced to downsize some of our operations. I need to let one person go, that we could possibly afford to keep, but it makes it tight on the budget. I feel terrible because I know that this person is barely making it personally. I feel in keeping this person we would be doing an act of charity and kindness, but in the same breath- it is a stretch for us. I feel so guilty. I need moral advice!

I do think that downsizing is wise in your situation...you have a responsibility to the other employees of the business and to your family as well. If the decision were mine, I'd forewarn this person that a downsizing due to economics is coming and that their position will need to be the first (or only) to go. Give him x number of months notice based on what you feel you can afford. Tell him that you are warning him in advance because you care about him and want to give him time to look for another position. By doing so, you are helping him out while at the same time being responsible as far as the business is concerned.

I'm so sorry...it's tough to be the boss! :grouphug:

I do think that downsizing is wise in your situation...you have a responsibility to the other employees of the business and to your family as well. If the decision were mine, I'd forewarn this person that a downsizing due to economics is coming and that their position will need to be the first (or only) to go. Give him x number of months notice based on what you feel you can afford. Tell him that you are warning him in advance because you care about him and want to give him time to look for another position. By doing so, you are helping him out while at the same time being responsible as far as the business is concerned.

I will say that my dh's company does not do notices, because they've had an employee try to sabotage on the way out. If that's the case, you could at least do some severance pay.

I'm so sorry...it's tough to be the boss! :grouphug:

:iagree: Being the boss is tough.