Menu

I have lots of tension in my jaw and my temple. If I bend over, hoo-boy, that hurts! I'm massaging my jaw and drinking some calming tea. Any other suggestions for getting rid of tension? I'm not stressed with any one thing - just lots of stuff that is in the background - dh is gone for a week, we're thinking of moving cross-country, we're behind in school. . . I'm not really upset about any of it - it's just there and I guess is affecting me more than I knew.

I had a virus last week that gave me head-aches and jaw pain. Like you, they really killed when bending over. I also had a little instability, but nothing more than light-headedness. I almost went to the clinic because it was so wacky and lingered for over a week. Then poof it went away. Could you be fighting off a sickness? Maybe you could try and get a massage- or better yet one of those lymphatic drainage massages. I've wanted to try one of those.

I hope you feel better.

Jo

Jo

Yawning is good for releasing tension in the jaw. Start with fake yawns (before long you'll be actually yawning). It may hurt though at first. Chewing is also used as a relaxation for jaw muscles. Maybe munch on an apple or chewing gum (don't chew the gum too long though or you may aggravate the muscles. Too long and it becomes exercise instead of relaxing). HTH Jacqui

I have lots of tension in my jaw and my temple. If I bend over, hoo-boy, that hurts! I'm massaging my jaw and drinking some calming tea. Any other suggestions for getting rid of tension? I'm not stressed with any one thing - just lots of stuff that is in the background - dh is gone for a week, we're thinking of moving cross-country, we're behind in school. . . I'm not really upset about any of it - it's just there and I guess is affecting me more than I knew.

Flexeril. One little pill before bedtime. In the morning, you're a new woman.

If you have a regular dentist, talk to him/her about TMJ and the symptoms you're having. And see if you can get a quick prescription to knock it out.

I'm not much of a drug user -- I tend to ignore pain and then be all puzzled when dh asks if I've taken aspirin.

But this little prescription? Oooh. I can't believe how much it's changed my face in the past six months. You're supposed to take it round the clock for a week or something, but one is all I needed. And then one about six weeks later.

Yoga and guided imagery relaxation works nicely, too, long-term.

Flexeril. One little pill before bedtime. In the morning, you're a new woman.

If you have a regular dentist, talk to him/her about TMJ and the symptoms you're having. And see if you can get a quick prescription to knock it out.

I'm not much of a drug user -- I tend to ignore pain and then be all puzzled when dh asks if I've taken aspirin.

But this little prescription? Oooh. I can't believe how much it's changed my face in the past six months. You're supposed to take it round the clock for a week or something, but one is all I needed. And then one about six weeks later.

Yoga and guided imagery relaxation works nicely, too, long-term.

Take the muscle relax to unclench and follow up with regular relaxation/stretching exercises. As much as I hate to use it, it does the trick for my degenerative disc disease which happens to leave me wound tighter than a drum. Exercises and tea don't really work I am sorry to say.

If you're clenching your teeth in your sleep, your dentist can fit you with a little insert that goes in between your top and bottom front teeth that makes it hard to clench. I thought about getting one because I used to grind my teeth, but luckily I haven't been doing that lately. I think they run about $200 but you'll have it forever and can use it when you need to.

If you have TMJ be careful with the yawning, too. I had a plugged-up ear with a cold a couple months ago and was yawning a lot to try to pop it. All that yawning really did a number on my jaw. It hurt for WEEKS after.

:grouphug: I hope you feel better.