Menu

Amercian Govt. curriculum for middle school co-op. (X-post)

X-post from curriculum board:

I searched the boards for an American Govt. book/curriculum suggestions for teaching 6th-8th graders at a co-op. I had some questions. Can anyone give me feedback on these books:

Great Source Am. Govt. - too old?? Link says 9-12th grade

Notgrass Am Govt. - too old?? Link says high school

Spark Notes 101: Am Govt. - does anyone know what age this is for??

How the Govt Works - too young?? Amazon says age 9-12

Teenpact.com - look great for homework and vocab but I think I need a spine.

I can make the class a 12 week or 24 week course. Any other ideas or curriculum suggestion??

Thanks!!

You might check out Land of Fair Play. Here's the Amazon.com blurb:

American Civics from a Christian perspetive. This book provides students with detailed information regarding how our local, state, and federal governments work. The primary emphasis of the text is designed to provide young people with the knowledge they need to properly and intelligently exercise their citizenship responsibilities. Comprehension and discussion questions at the end of each chapter aid students in their understanding of the text. Recommended for children in 8th grade.

We are looking at it for our co-op for the 7/8th graders.

Spark Notes 101: American Govt. is a great spine for getting the basics in a no-nonsense fashion. We will be using it for our high schoolers along with some primary source readings and using it to allow the kids to dig deeper into those topics they are interested in. It really isn't an entertaining text.

Hey Cynthia,

I borrowed the Land of Fair Play this afternoon and it looks perfect! I love that the book has both review and discussion questions at the end of each chapter. I was also excited that it is so inexpensive. Thanks for the recommendation!

I read the first several chapters of the book, and I am thinking about making it a 24 week class. For the first semester, I was thinking about having the students memorize the preamble and the first 20 presidents. I was also thinking about adding a research report or maybe an oral presentation.

I am getting excited for this class. Thanks again!

Hey Cynthia,

I borrowed the Land of Fair Play this afternoon and it looks perfect! I love that the book has both review and discussion questions at the end of each chapter. I was also excited that it is so inexpensive. Thanks for the recommendation!

I read the first several chapters of the book, and I am thinking about making it a 24 week class. For the first semester, I was thinking about having the students memorize the preamble and the first 20 presidents. I was also thinking about adding a research report or maybe an oral presentation.

I am getting excited for this class. Thanks again!

I was actually going to recommend Lond of Fair Play when I first saw your question. But since I haven't used it -- it remains on my shelf until *someday* -- I was tentative about recommending it. From what I've reviewed of it, though, it would make a great middle school text. It may sound a bit youngish for your 8th graders.

HTH,

Lisa

I was actually going to recommend Lond of Fair Play when I first saw your question. But since I haven't used it -- it remains on my shelf until *someday* -- I was tentative about recommending it. From what I've reviewed of it, though, it would make a great middle school text. It may sound a bit youngish for your 8th graders.

HTH,

Lisa

I first I thought is might be a bit youngish for 8th grade, but last night I read the first 9 chapters and there is a lot of meat in the book. I already started a list of vocab words and I found words in each chapter that will be challenging for even an 8th grader.

Also I think the book is simple enough that we can try to implement some of the Super Star student techniques like reading and taking notes before class and adding to the notes during lecture.

Thanks for your thoughts.