Menu

We got our juicer and LOVE it (questions inside)

When it came, the kids put all sorts of things in it. We then used the pulp in bread last night. We put in a little much so it's quite moist but it is GOOD.

I'm not positive it costs less than V8 tomato and other juices, but....

Anyway, does anyone have juices they love? I can go grocery shopping tomorrow (we've used every carrot, apple, pear, melon, potato, cucumber, orange and grapefruit in the house).

Can things like spinach and such go in it? Broccoli? Those are our faves.

Can defrosted frozen produce be used?

Also, I'm worried about cleaning it well. Does anyone have any tricks?

I got one after christmas. The recipe I like is spinach, 1 celery, 1 carrot and 1 green apple. I like that I can use up the bottom of the bags of spinach, where it's started to get old and the darker green color where and wetter looking where the leaves have folded themselves. It's not bad (but I guess could be soon) but you wouldn't want to eat that part in a salad. So it's a good way to use that part up especially.

I'd like to hear other's juice recipies as well.

I had a juicer on loan over the summer and loved it. We made all sorts of veggie juices to drink. I didn't juice any fruits because I prefer to eat fruit, not drink it.

My basic formula was cucumber or celery as a base. Then I added something with color like red, yellow or orange bell pepper. Next I added greens, either spinach, kale, swiss chard, beet greens, red lettuce or dandelion greens - really anything you have on hand. Lastly, I added something for taste like 1/2 apple, carrots or grapes. I also juiced zuchinni and asparagus stems when I had them. I never tried broccoli.

Our juicer took about 5 minutes to clean. I never found a short cut.

I am doing a detox diet this week and noticed that they had some juice recipes that looked great, Beet, Carrot, Apple and Ginger Juice and Cucumber, Basil and Lime Juice. Here is the link:

http://goop.com/newsletter/15

Enjoy!

This is our regular concoction:

3-4 gala apples

1 celery

1 cucumber

3-4 carrots (optional since they muddy the color a bit)

1 handful spinach

1 handful parsley

1/2 lime (adds a wonderful taste)

1/4 beet

tiny piece of fresh ginger

I wash a lot of all these and keep them together in a large plastic bin in the fridge, ready to go. Our juicer does the peels and everything so it's real easy to throw it all in. Even the girls will drink it.

Ginger

I never have a recipe. It takes so much produce to give us all (6) a tall glass, I just throw in whatever I have. The garden is growing like crazy right now, so there is a lot of spinach and kale going in.

Spinach and all greens (that aren't poisonous, obviously) can be juiced. The problem is the amount of juice you will actually get from it. Not much, so it takes a lot.

Yes, you can juice previously frozen stuff.

I really like to add as much "juicy" stuff as I can when my garden is in. The cost is way to much to buy at the store. Tomatoes, cucs, summer squash and zucs all juice up really well.

I've also added OJ to my juice just to bulk it up more if I'm short.

Have fun!