Menu

Will my sweet boy ever return...

Okay, he's not really missing, just the sweet part in him. He's 10 and that sweetness and kindness, and openess to world has gone and been replaced with cantankerousness (is that a new word?), argumentativeness, and something that is bordering beligerence. He used to love to ask questions and find out things, and now anything that he deems "educational" is poo-poo'd and dismissed.

I'm hoping it passes soon. Really soon.

Thanks for listening. That is all.

Okay, he's not really missing, just the sweet part in him. He's 10 and that sweetness and kindness, and openess to world has gone and been replaced with cantankerousness (is that a new word?), argumentativeness, and something that is bordering beligerence. He used to love to ask questions and find out things, and now anything that he deems "educational" is poo-poo'd and dismissed.

I'm hoping it passes soon. Really soon.

Thanks for listening. That is all.

I have a 16 yo that hit the point you are speaking of at about 13. I'm still waiting for the turn around.

I've been told it's a phase boys go through. . .

I have a 14 yo that hasn't hit that phase yet.

My dear friend said her almost 19 yods started it at ~ 18, and she also told me she's seeing signs of it in her 15yods (my 14yo's bff).

. . .oh, but the way it was explained to me is that it's a "breaking away" process boys go through. . .so I would think at 10, you are just seeing. . .ummm, "contractions".

(Here's hoping they are "braxton hicks"!)

My oldest started this at 10 also, and he was back around at about 16.

My next son was about 12 when this started and he didn't come around until about 18.

My third son never went through this at all, but he is just an unusually sweet-natured person - I guess I got lucky and got a pass with one.

My last son, who is 10 now, has not gotten there yet.

It is just a "season" and you just have to remember that your sweet boy is in there somewhere and will resurface when it is time. Keep lines of communication open through all this - they want to talk to you even when they say they don't.

Thanks guys.

My brother went through this too, at 12, and he is just now coming around. He's 30.:glare:

I know a huge part of this is ds being treated like a "baby". Well, he is my baby...so I've started allowing him more freedom. Freedom in choosing some of his curriculum and projects, etc.. letting him go to the bathroom by himself at the library...don't laugh, there are some creepies that hang out at the libraries.. I've started letting him cook for himself, you know stuff like that. I've also made sure he is spending more time with Dad (we're happily married, Dh usually works 10-12 hour days though).

I know in the long run, it's just some days...Heavy sigh...this too shall pass. :001_smile: