Menu

Split pea soup recipe?

I make it in the crock pot by combining a bag of split peas, about 6 cups of water, a diced onion, about 1/2 cup diced celery and 1/2 cup carrots. I cook on low all day and check soup about an hour before we eat. If it is too runny I turn crock pot up to high and cook with the lid off. If it is too thick add water. At that point I also add salt and pepper to taste and about 1/2 lb of turkey ham.

I make it in the crock pot by combining a bag of split peas, about 6 cups of water, a diced onion, about 1/2 cup diced celery and 1/2 cup carrots. I cook on low all day and check soup about an hour before we eat. If it is too runny I turn crock pot up to high and cook with the lid off. If it is too thick add water. At that point I also add salt and pepper to taste and about 1/2 lb of turkey ham.

This is pretty much the recipe I use from the Betty Crocker book. One slight change, 1t of marjoram. My dh like diced potatoes in his split pea and I sometimes will add them for him--I think it's waay to many carbs. I like to go to the butcher shop and ask for ham ends.

Split Pea Soup (no meat)

2 cups (1 lb) split peas, yellow or green

6 cups hot water

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup sliced celery

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves minced garlic

½ teaspoon dried marjoram

½ teaspoon dried basil

¼ teaspoon ground cumin

½-1 teaspoon salt

1/8-1/4 teaspoon black pepper

pinch of cayenne

Rinse the split peas and place in a pot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer, cover loosely and cook until the peas are tender, 1 to 2 hours.