Menu

Is it worth it to buy a grain mill?

I have been baking all my own bread since Jan. 1, so I have developed that habit. Is it really worth the health benefits to grind you own flour? I am hoping that the vitamin E benefits might "cure" my chronic skin rash. What do you think?

I do it for the taste, nothing more. I suppose it is a bit healthier and has more vitamin E than store-bought whole-wheat flour, but I rather doubt you are going to see any noticeable health benefits. Still, the taste is amazing! :D

Ria

When I purchased mine several years ago I did wonder if it would be a fad that I would use like crazy for awhile and the give up. That has not been the case and I practically bake everything (and I mean everything) with my freshly ground ww flour which tastes superior to store bought ww flour.

I think the biggest health benefit comes from the fact that the wheat tastes so good the kids don't mind eating everything ww (including cookies, etc.). In fact one time, maybe two years ago, I baked cookies using white flour and the kids asked me what was wrong with the cookies.

Very worthwhile purchase in our home.

Thanks for your answers I had not really thought about the taste improving so much - my kids will eat anything these days well except over cooked veggies and spicy food. I am glad to hear that you have continued to use yours for few years. I will feel really guilty if I have one and then buy flour in a pinch; is it so easy to use that you won't have to buy flour again?

Another benefit is that because the ww bread is so nutritious, and complete it really fills you up. I ate some homemade ww bread for lunch today, just two slices with a dab of peanut butter and I was full all afternoon. I am usually starving by dinner, but not today. Everytime I eat my ww bread I find this to be true. Funny enough, it is great when I am dieting!

Michelle

PS I bought my grain mill from pleasant hill grain online. I love it. I just finished grinding up some grain about 1/2 hour ago.

I would respectfully disagree with the poster who said you won't see any health benefits. I have heard many stories of people who had certain skin conditions (rashes, and especially warts) that disappeared simply by eating homemade bread, from fresh ground flour, on a daily basis. This is the only thing they changed. I went to a seminar by the BreadBeckers, Sue Becker, and the stories were amazing. She is, btw, a registered nutritionist or something along those lines.

Now that being said, depending on what the cause of your rash is, it might not help. I am assuming you are unsure what is causing it, but more than likely it is a dietary issue, as the skin is usually the first signal that something is "off" in our body, it being the largest, most visible, organ, and all. Your rash could be caused by other allergens, ie dairy, gluten, etc.

But it won't hurt to do the fresh milled bread and see what happens!

Thanks for your answers I had not really thought about the taste improving so much - my kids will eat anything these days well except over cooked veggies and spicy food. I am glad to hear that you have continued to use yours for few years. I will feel really guilty if I have one and then buy flour in a pinch; is it so easy to use that you won't have to buy flour again?

I can grind about 20 cups (I'm estimating) in 5ish minutes. I usually bake bread right after I've ground the wheat and store the remaining in a ziploc bag in the freezer for use during the week (muffins, cookies etc.)

It is very easy to clean.

I love my nutrimill and have not had any problems with it since I purchased it.