Menu

3 yo dd potty training reverting :(

My dd 3 year old has been potty trained (daytime) about 3 months now, with hardly one accident. All of a sudden she is rarely making it, even at home. She goes into the bathroom and does #1 right next to the toilet. She never has an accident with #2. Yesterday she had an accident at Sunday School (arghhh! if she keeps doing it she'll have to go back into the 2 year old class!)

Is this common? Any suggestions?

Have you moved recently? Sometimes a big life change can lead to reverting. We thought this was the case with D, as she had this problem after a move. In her case, though, she continued to have accidents (only #1 though, thankfully) for over a year...turned out to be a corn allergy. As long as she doesn't consume corn-derived products (this is not easy to accomplish, btw!) she's accident free (and much better behaved, too). It could be an infection or other medical issue, too.

You know, I had the same problem with my DD. My DS never had that problem, but after potty-training, my DD reverted 2 times. Both times lasted only about a week and only for #1 as well. I even took her to the doctor to see if she had a UTI, and there was nothing.

I remember that I just carried around a change of clothes or 2 during that time. It was a pain, but I refused to put her back into any kind of training pants. Then I just would keep reminding her to go throughout the day. Sorry I don't have more advice, but I just wanted to chime in some sympathy.

You know, I had the same problem with my DD. My DS never had that problem, but after potty-training, my DD reverted 2 times. Both times lasted only about a week and only for #1 as well. I even took her to the doctor to see if she had a UTI, and there was nothing.

I remember that I just carried around a change of clothes or 2 during that time. It was a pain, but I refused to put her back into any kind of training pants. Then I just would keep reminding her to go throughout the day. Sorry I don't have more advice, but I just wanted to chime in some sympathy.

That is very helpful and encouraging, actually! I refuse to buy ANYMORE pullups (I never liked them anyway). Overnight I just do the two-sheet with rubber sheets underneath so I can go into her bedroom in a fog and take off the top set and she's good to go. She's in two layers overnight: one pair of those AWESOME Hanna Andersson training underwear and then a "Bumkins" training pant with nylon on the outside, and really thick training underwear inside. Funny thing is she wets less overnight than she does during the day!

Okay, take a deep breath:). I know that this is frustrating, but it will pass.

This problem could be several things: medical issues like a urinary tract infection, constipation (she may not act like it, it is possible to have a large back up in the bowels and still have some bowel movements), or it could be emotional -any new stress in the family , or she could be reaching a stage where she gets very involved in what she is doing and doesn't pay attention to her body until it is too late.

I would check out the physical reasons first. In the meantime, you may need to go back to supervising her bladder for her - taking her to go periodically so she doesn't wait too long. PLan ahead for Sunday school so that you have plenty of time to go before class. Can she go bottomless around the house?

Good luck!

Have you moved recently? Sometimes a big life change can lead to reverting. We thought this was the case with D, as she had this problem after a move. In her case, though, she continued to have accidents (only #1 though, thankfully) for over a year...turned out to be a corn allergy. As long as she doesn't consume corn-derived products (this is not easy to accomplish, btw!) she's accident free (and much better behaved, too). It could be an infection or other medical issue, too.

No big life changes, just a Daddy who is working a ton :( and sister who is now doing a tiny bit of homeschooling on days she isn't at Pre-K. Total side note, but YAY! Only two more months of classroom school! I wonder if she is jealous of the attention?). I'll watch for a UTI, too. Thanks!

I don't have any advice, just going through this as well with my 4 year old ds. His big brother just moved to Alaska for the Army. My dh reminded me that this happened when big brother went to training in OK. I am guessing he is just stressed like the rest of us. My only advice is what I have been doing - reminding him to go potty every hour on the hour. Good luck!