Menu

Leaving the "Dark Side"...Returning to Homeschooling...maybe!

OK, I'm not really saying that public school is evil or anything like unto it. But after homeschooling my children "from the beginning," last year (2007-2008) the oldest two (dd, then 5th grade, and ds, then 3rd) got into a local charter school with a heavy Spanish emphasis. They completed that year, and are there now (2008-2009), joined by their 1st grade little brother.

It's been fine, really. But not great. I will admit that I resent all the "extra" time school takes. I mean, they are there from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., yet my 1st grader has homework. My dd (now 6th grade), often has homework, but my ds (now 4th) mostly manages to finish things at school. But for the older children, when you add in piano, scouts, and/or dance, they seem to have little unstructured time.

Then there are the evening programs. I REALLY dislike those. My dh HATES them. There may only be one or two a year per kids, but with three kids there...it adds up.

My dd seems to go through phases where she doesn't finish and/or turn in work--no real idea why. She's doing OK now.

But what is really frustrating is all the "friend" issues. I mean, the main reason they want to go to school is to be with their friends. But too often things aren't going well, and I would venture that--more often than not--they've had a "bad day" because of the way they are NOT getting along with their peers.

All that said, there are things that I like about public school. I have a quieter house during the daytime, that's for sure. I didn't *want* to like it--but I do. I like that they are learning some Spanish. I like that they are getting more science instruction than I ever did at home. I like that they get to do more projects for their sakes (because they love them) at that same time that I hate it (they still manage to invade home with time/money requirements, and I am NOT a project-y kind of mom).

So I am closer now to bringing them home than I have been. We had already flirted with the idea of keeping them home next year. But the tri-mester ends Friday, and I think, "why wait?"

But am I ready to take this on full-time again? I don't even have all the materials I would like to have. I missed a whole year of curriculum-buying! And I also don't necessarily know where I should start them. This is hard.

Just so you know...I have three pre-schoolers at home. It's never exactly a *quiet* house, just quietER.

So...as my husband says, "I've got more waffle than a House of Pancakes."

Any words of advice? Anyone been-here-done-this?

Thanks for listening to me vent!

Korrie

aka RedHen6

Hi Redhen6,

No advice for you because I am in the same boat!! We have homeschooled my children ages 13, 12, 9, 4 and 2 from the very beginning and my older two really wanted to go to school really bad. We were having trouble finding social outlets for them... and believe me I tried to attend just about every meeting, field trip ect... I could find, and we just could not get relationships going. My oldest had 3 of his very best friends who were homeschooled move out of state!! So he was just ready for something!! Well, the older 3 LOVE school! Of course my 12yo daughter has girl drama each and every day! It gets so old... but she still loves school and assures me that they all really love each other??? I think you just have a bunch of girls going through "changes" if you know what i mean:) Plus, I have to say that my dd can be very dramatic:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I hate the time school takes too.... but love not having the burden of planning and challenging them with school work. My 2 little ones seemed to not get the attention they deserved while I was homeschooling, I was just stretched way toooooooooooooooooo far. I am also expecting #6 in September so my hubby thinks they need to stay in school. I think I just miss that control!!!

I also think that the "grass is always greener on the other side"!!! If I started homeschooling again, then I am sure that public school would look really good:lol::lol::lol:

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!! Let us know what you decide!! Also, do your children like school? Or, do they want to come home?

Jennifer

No, you are certainly not alone in this decision. I placed my daughter back into public school last year for Grade 3, and my other daughter into High School for Grade 9.

Although the 9th grader at the time, has a really hard time adjusting, is did work out well for her and she is still there.

My youngest didn't last. She hated it. I hated it. School took up a lot of time. She liked being there because of her friends, but more often then now, there were fights, bad days, and coming home crying. By April of last year she was miserable. I pulled her out.

Maybe she will go back to school for high school, but we are not there yet.

No reason to feel guilty about liking the alone time. I have to admit, that is one thing I did enjoy. I do love having my daughter home with me, but homeschooling is a huge committment. I still look back on her PS days, and do not regret bringing her home. I just wish my days were not so complicated at times.

Best wishes on your decision.

I'm there too. My kids started school because of my health problems, and stayed because of some cool public school programs in our area. Recently we have switched to part time homeschooling for remediation (older daughter) and enrichment (middle son). Is that an option for you? We have just started, but I really like it so far. The kids are progressing in their education, and I get the afternoon off. :) And they get some of the cool enrichment activities at school.