Menu

Anyone have a basic tomato sauce recipe they're willing to share?

I admit I haven't tasted this one, just saw it made on TV by an Italian cook. I do plan on trying it when I empty that last jar of red sauce in my pantry!

Ingredients:

1 can crushed tomatoes

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 stick butter

3 dashes of balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup red wine

2 cloves fresh garlic

1 full plant of fresh basil,

Dash of oregano

1/4 cup fresh chopped chives

Salt and pepper

Directions:

Warm everything in a pot, except for the fresh herbs. Add them about 5 minutes before you take the sauce off the heat. They'll wilt and burn out if you add them too early. Pour over pasta. Add fresh grated cheese, if desired, and serve.

1 tiny can tomato paste

1 reg size can chopped tomatoes (I like Contadina diced Roma tomatoes, but any will do.)

about 1/4 tsp salt

about 1 tsp pepper

about 1 TBSP basil

about 1 TBSP italian seasoning (mix of oregano, thyme, etc.)

about 1 tsp garlic powder

approx 1/4 cup water

approx 1 TBSP olive oil

Don't buy any spices (except chili powder) that have the unlabeled term "spice" or "spices" in them, that's MSG (I react to it, I know!) It is even in garlic sometimes if you buy garlic mixed with parsley with an unlabeled "spice" in the ingredients. I don't know what the unlabeled "spice" in chili powder is, but I'm not allergic to it, and I'm allergic to the top 9 allergens, MSG, and a ton of other stuff.

Mix, heat on medium until tomato paste dissolves, simmer on low until your pasta is cooked.

It only takes a few minutes once you get used to it, and is much better for you than the ones in the jar and much cheaper. I started doing this after I developed food allergies, but I would have done it sooner if I had realized how easy and yummy it was.

My basic tomato sauce is just to fry up an onion or two, some garlic, in olive oil, add the canned tomatoes, cook it up a bit- then I add a decent squirt of tomato or bbq sauce. Then a handful of fresh basil if I have it, or dried if I dont. It's very simple. For spagghetti bolognaise I just fry the mince in after the onions. For vegetarian bolognaise I add in TVP or various grated vegetables.

Guest Lorna

Another great recipe is a couple of onions, two cloves of garlic (optional), and a bullb of fennel all chopped finely and sweated in olive oil for a bit. Add four cans of tomatoes and some fresh basil or oregano (dried or fresh). Cook for a further twenty minutes. Blend if desired and add olives if desired. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

2 Cans (2 1/2 cups) of whole tomatoes (peeled but not stewed), drained & juice reserved

2 small cans tomato paste

1 tablespoons sugar

2 cups liquid-reserved juice + water (add a dash of wine if desired)

season and add veg to your hearts content

at a bare minimum I add dried onions, salt and pepper

Simmer apx 1 hour, breaking up tomatoes as desired.

Sometimes I find if I add much to the sauce in the way of meat or large veg I need to add both 2 cups water and the reserved juice.