Menu

WWYD re: selling some scrapbooking stuff?

I have a Sizzix machine, and I've used it and enjoyed it, but I'd really like a Cricut. I've been thinking of selling the Sizzix and using whatever money I could get from that stuff and putting it toward the new machine.

I mentioned this to my MIL, and she emailed me today and asked if I still wanted to sell it, because she thinks she might like to get into making cards. She went to a scrapbooking thing at church and thinks the Sizzix would be good to have.

The thing is, she and FIL bought me the Sizzix and my lower/upper case alphabets for Christmas one year. I don't think I can ask her to pay me for those. I'm thinking I should just tell her she can have it. I have several other dies, but the machine and alphabets are by far the most useful pieces.

I don't know that I would actually get around to selling the stuff anyway. I think I'm feeling a little disappointed because it *could* have worked out quite well for me if I *had*.

Do you agree that it would be poor form to take money for something she gave me? I wanted to float this past "the hive" even though I'm pretty sure I know what I should do. :)

(Dh is watching the Cricut videos online right now - too funny!)

Maybe you could just be up front with your MIL and say "Yes, I am still interested in selling the Sizzix stuff. The problem is that I wanted to sell it and put the money towards a Cricut, which is xxxx amount of dollars. I just don't feel right taking money from you, though, since you gave it to me as a gift in the first place." Then, you'll know if she expects you to give it to her or if she is expecting to pay for it. And she'll know that you appreciated the gift to start with.

I am a big believer in the idea that if someone gives you a gift, it's yours to do with as you please. Still, I can appreciate what an awkward situation this could be.

Good luck! I have been looking at a Cricut, myself. So far I have been able to walk away. Not sure how much longer I can hold out.......

Jeannie

Personally, I'd have a hard time selling something to someone who gave it to me as a gift -- especially parents.

However...

I just want to mention that I have a complete Cricut setup I am thinking of selling. I have only used it twice -- it's VERY cool, but I'm just not as crafty as I hoped I could be.

What I have retails for about $450+, I'd like to get $200 for it (bought it on sale and received some as gifts). I have the machine, tool kit, cutter, paper, 3 font cartridge kits, two extra sticky cut sheets, and a couple of other tools, all still in original packaging.

PM me if you are interested. :)

I know! How about I sell your Mil MY Sizzix stuff, and you can sell yours to someone else?:D I already have my Cricut- a gift from my parents!- and I haven't touched the Sizzix in a couple of years at least!

I do think it would be the nice thing to do to offer the equipment to your Mil, but you could also mention to her that you're in the market for a Cricut. What goes around comes around, kwim? When Mil is thinking about birthday or Christmas gifts for you, she'll remember how sweet you were when you gave her the Sizzix stuff. Not that you should do it out of greed. Okay, this is coming across wrong. I guess I'm thinking about what I would do. If it were my mother (not my mil, she's just not that type of person,) I would give the stuff to her. A couple of months later, I'd probably get an AC Moore gift card in the mail from her. Which I'd spend partially on something I want, and probably get her something. Then she'd probably get me something.... etc... That's just the way my family is. We're "givey." If you really need the $$ for the Cricut, and your inlaws aren't the "givey" type, I'd be honest with her, and tell her that you had planned to sell it.

Did that make *any* sense at all?

-Robin

Robin, you're so funny! I know what you mean. She knows I would like a Cricut, and if I tell her that's what I would like for birthday or Christmas, I know she would get one for me. She does like to buy gifts. Cricuts were on such good sale before Christmas, I should have just asked for one then. Oh, well.

You know, I think I will just give it to her. If it were my sister, or my mom, who knew I was thinking of giving it up and mentioned they were interested, I would just give it to them.

How do you like your Cricut? Is it as cool as it looks? :D

You know what's funny - the girls were scrapbooking with me tonight, and they had a ball using the Sizzix. I just went over to the Cricut site and saw that they don't have any paper doll type things, and the girls had a blast making dolls and clothes for them. So now I don't know if I want to get rid of it! How pathetic am I? :lol: I think the main issue is not being able to have the stuff set up so I can use it easily. I don't have a good place where things can be out of the way, so I rarely get to scrapbook. I like the idea of the Cricut because it's not so heavy, the cartridges are small, and it uses the paper efficiently for you.

I just don't know. Argh!

The resell on Sizzix stuff is pretty low right now, so it's not going to be a HUGE amount of money. Sizzlit fonts are in the $25 range resell.

I still have mine - the ability to cut thicker materials and just about anything with the steel rule dies won out. I have the Expression and love it.

I also have over 1000 paper punches :tongue_smilie:

But i agree - it's hard to sell to someone who gave it to you!