Menu

Any dog people here?

We have been given a female JRT. She is about 5 years old and not spayed. Because of the situation, we can't get her fixed right now as she is not completely and fully ours. Anyway, she has her period (if that's what it's called in the dog world). We've never had to deal with this sort of thing before and know nothing about it. Can anyone here tell me how long this lasts? We tried to put diapers on her but they keep falling off and besides that she HATES them for some reason :001_smile:. Anyway, any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Yikes. We've had a lot of dogs but they were all promptly spayed or neutered at the appropriate age. The bleeding didn't last too long . . . maybe a week, ten days. But the heat cycle is longer and the fertility time, I think, follows the bleeding. In any case, we kept a very close eye on her for a long time. No way did I want anything to happen. (My kids on the other hand thought puppies sounded cool. So I didn't allow them to be in charge of her! lol!)

We had her spayed a couple weeks ago. I am relieved not to have to worry about this.

A female heat can last from a week to as long as 10-14 days. It is a miserable time. If you cannot keep somthing on her, try to confine her to one area of the house.

If you can, please get in touch with your local SPCA, most will give out vouchers for free or reduced cost spaying.

A 5 yo JRT who has not been spayed, and go into multiple heats, have a high risk of multiple female cancers.

Best Wishes with your new family member:001_smile:

Because of the situation, we can't get her fixed right now as she is not completely and fully ours.

how long till she's fully yours?

I'm guessing the other owner actually has a problem spaying her?

No way you can talk them into letting you get her spayed?

And i guess you'e not willing to just take her in and get her spayed w/o saying anything? ;)

You should be able to get her spayed as soon as she IS yours --even if she's bleeding. We were given a notice after our SPCA gal was spayed that there was an extra charge if she was actively bleeding *or pregnant* [they didn't tell us this beforehand--grrr.]

anyway, yeah, keep her under tight control till you can get her spayed, then take her in ASAP.

good luck!

eta: i just remembered: a friend used a large T-shirt cut a certain way that they were able to put on the dog and tie behind the legs --you might be able to rig something similar.

When I got my maltese/jrussell mix from the shelter she went into heat before her spay appt. The bleeding lasted a couple of weeks. Someone at the shelter told me it could last up to 3 weeks, but it didn't go that far.

We just wiped up after her as the doggie dipes seemed like a lot of trouble. I think the t-shirt idea is good. We used this on our male dog to prevent him from licking after neuter surgery. He figured out how to take it off after a while, though.

Try to find a way to get her fixed asap once you know you can. There are groups who offer vouchers and help with spays. In the mean time, take her outside on a leash only. Even for short breaks. I don't think I'd even take her for a walk for fear she'd break away or attract attention from other dog pedestrians. And make sure she can't escape out an open door. Do you have a crate to keep her in?

good luck with your new resident!

Hi, the heat that a dog goes through has three stages and your dog is in the 2nd stage.

1st their hormones go through changes and they secrete a little bit of fluid-most owners miss awareness of this because they don't secrete much and generally "clean themselves up" (yuk!).

The 2nd stage is the bleeding phase and it usually lasts 7 days but can last more than double that. If the dog diaper does not work you could try putting a pair of boys underwear on the dog backwards. Just put a regular people pad in the correct place and pull the tail through the slit. They may become fertile at the very end of the bleeding phase.

The 3rd phase is when they stop bleeding but become fertile. This lasts about a week. Some females will try to escape during this week (for obvious reasons). Make sure you keep the dog in the house or just in your backyard (stay with the dog when in your backyard). Males can smell her from 1 or 2 miles away!

It may cost more to spay a mature dog. They usually wait until the heat cycle is done.

GOOD LUCK !!!