Menu

The Geometer's Sketchpad?

We have an old copy of Geometer's Sketchpad - the kids enjoyed playing with it when they were studying geometry. My dd recently came across a similar program

Geogebra software

that not only does a lot of the same stuff, but it's available as a free download. She actually prefers this one and uses it a lot (she's a math kid).

Kathy

I like Geometer's Sketchpad, but I like Geogebra better. I have access to both, and have used both teaching geometry and calculus. I do think having this sort of program can help with understanding geometry. I think there is some calculus software that can add on to GS. I don't have access to it, but I have seen it at an AP Institute.

Is Geogebra close enough to Geometer's Sketchpad that I could use it with math curricula that use GS?

I'm thinking of using Singapore's Discovering Mathematics 1A/B, and perhaps later the Math without Borders Geometry program, both of which require Geometer's Sketchpad - could I use Geogebra instead?

Free is good! :D

Well...I would *think* you could you it instead of Sketchpad. I don't own those two particular curricula.

Geogebra performs the same basic functions as Sketchpad, but the menu choices/commands are a bit different. You could downloaded Geogebra before you actually started the math program, and become comfortable with it - it's not too hard to learn!