Menu

Casual table for 10?

My family of 7 is hoping to move to a bigger house in the next few months, and my parents will probably be moving in with us. I need to find a table that seats 10 for "everyday" use. I really don't want a dining room. I want a casual table, and I'm hoping I can find a house with an "eat in" kitchen big enough to seat everyone. I have in mind the farmouse/plank/rustic style, but I'm not stuck on it. I just don't want something that looks like a formal dining room set. This needs to be able to take a beating from 5 boys and 4 adults. Any ideas or links?

We got a "plank style" table that easily seats 10, and dressed it up a little with some espresso colored leather chairs. The chairs are *very* comfortable and I'm not worried about the kids wrecking them or the table. I didn't want anything I would be afraid to scratch up or that would show stains. It's been great!

Our table looks like this (but it's bigger) and our chairs look like the ones in this picture. Casually nice, but not fancy.

Edited to add: We got our table at a local furniture store, and I don't know who manufactured it, but I've seen similar ones at casual furniture stores. And a lot of stores sell that style of dining chair.

Edited by lovelearnandlive

We had a harvest table custom made for our dining room two houses ago. It was designed to seat 10, and was 108" long and 44" wide. Unfortunately, our current house couldn't accommodate it so we had the same company cut it down and make two leaves that we can add in if we need to.

Try googling "Harvest Table" and you should get lots of ideas!

Janet

Try watching Craigslist for conference tables. You may find a nice wood one, that would fit you whole family.

After I spent too much money on a seats-12 table from Pottery Barn, I started seeing conference tables like this on craigslist. I coulda saved a lot of $$$$$!!! It is worth trying for a few months before moving, while having your eye on something from a furniture store as a backup plan.

I also suggest going with the smallest chairs possible to fit the table. You can lose a lot of elbow room with the wrong chairs.