Menu

Famous Men Series... Greenleaf or Memoria Press?

angela&4boys

MP guides are more workbook-y. There are also periodic reviews of previously covered material. The teacher manual contains a replica of the student workbook with the answers filled in.

Greenleaf guides do NOT have answer keys. They provide more open-ended discussion questions which require a bit more critical thinking. Seems like there is a bit more focus on the character of the person being studied as well.

I like them both. If you want the student to work more independently I would do MP. If you want to read the selections aloud together and have discussions I would use Greenleaf.

HTH

For the books, absolutely Memoria Press. Their editions are much, much better. Beautiful full color illustrations, maps, appendices... Just much nicer books than Greenleaf. I actually replaced the Greenleaf editions I had with MP. (The text is pretty much exactly the same, though with some very minor editing differences.)

I haven't used the study guides from Greenleaf, so I can't comment on those.

For the books, absolutely Memoria Press. Their editions are much, much better. Beautiful full color illustrations, maps, appendices... Just much nicer books than Greenleaf. I actually replaced the Greenleaf editions I had with MP. (The text is pretty much exactly the same, though with some very minor editing differences.)

Thanks abbeyej. The color illustrations and maps alone sway me. My very visual guys need this.

Thanks for this. I didn't realize there was any difference in the actual text. I thought those were identical!

The text of the *books* *is* identical! I believe Hoggirl was talking about the guides/workbooks that each of these companies has written to go along with the Famous Men of... books.

MP guides are more workbook-y. There are also periodic reviews of previously covered material. The teacher manual contains a replica of the student workbook with the answers filled in.

Greenleaf guides do NOT have answer keys. They provide more open-ended discussion questions which require a bit more critical thinking. Seems like there is a bit more focus on the character of the person being studied as well.

I like them both. If you want the student to work more independently I would do MP. If you want to read the selections aloud together and have discussions I would use Greenleaf.

HTH

Thank you Cynthia. I didn't even realize there were guides to use with them, but the comparison is helpful. I may use them with Veritas History. I'm not sure if I'd need them??

The Greenleaf Press study guides schedule additional pages to peruse in other living books, including Usborne books and atlases, that correspond with the biographies. There's even an occasional hands-on suggestion like a salt dough map.

Thanks Rose! Do you know if there is anywhere I can view samples of the guides? I definitely have some more research to do. :)

Here's a link to the Greenleaf Guide at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Greenleaf-Guide-Famous-Men-Rome/dp/1882514041/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235609799&sr=8-2

The Memoria Press guide can be found at Memoriapress.com

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/famous-men-of-greece.html

I've been looking at purchasing these as well. I own the Memoria Press books because I love the pictures. But I think I will get the Greenleaf guide because it takes a "living book" approach instead of being so workbooky. (Is that a word?) :)

Smiles,

Shalynn

We use the free text versions online from mainlesson.com (has nice pics and maps but they are black and white) and the free audio from librovox and the guides from Greenleaf which you can also get as an e-book for about $8...that is one very inexpensive history curriculum and I like the Greenleaf questions...very meaty with a christian worldview focus.