Menu

What is your favorite Pre-Algebra course?

mommy25

We are using Chalkdust and have really enjoyed it! The only thing I don't like is the lack of constant review like Saxon has. The video is fantastic and I really like the variety of application problems included in the lessons - it goes way beyond basic problems as it includes word problems linked to various life applications (mechanics, finance, etc.) as well as Critical Thinking problems. It was worth every penny spent.

I'll have to say Chalkdust Prealgebra. My older kids had used Saxon Alg 1/2 and it was a bear to get through each time. Chalkdust is going very nicely. I think there's plenty of review in Chalkdust. Each chapter has a review of the chapter, then a cumulative review as well. There are so many problems to choose from that I only assign the odds. If ever I need to review a concept he's having trouble, we work on the evens. In Saxon, it was very difficult to go back and review a concept because they jumped all over the place.

I am going to use BJU's pre-Algebra with my youngest. I have not used it in the past though, so I cannot give my opinion on it.

I did use Saxon with one son though...he hated it. My older boys very much disliked all the various Saxon books I sent their way over the years. At the time it was THE homeschool math curriculum, so who was I to question that!?:D I will never use it again...I don't care how much it is touted as "the best"...my kids could not learn from it's incremental tid-bit style. :tongue_smilie: They must take after their mama...cuz I would have hated that too. ;)

The several years I have used BJU have been great (4th, 5th, 6th, Alg 2, Precalculus) I am happy with their curriculum so far and plan to use them all the way through.

If I was not set on BJU, I would probably look into TT or Chalkdust.