Menu

Options for getting ventilation in a bathroom

My boys have a bathroom upstairs that does not have a venting system. There is a window, which is why it probably passed code without one.

Today I noticed a bit of mold on the paint above the tub. It's not a suprise, because that bath does get a bit damp. It's just two 11 year old boys and they don't take baths, so it's not like the rooms is steamy for long periods, but I do want to do something about this.

I assume having a ventilating system installed would be expensive. DH suggested maybe a ceiling fan, though it's a small bath. I could maybe try to figure out how to get a small dehumidifier in there, though it would take up space on the floor and really, there isn't much space on the floor.

Any suggestions?

Installing a vented fan is not really difficult if you can get at the space between the ceiling of the bathroom and the roof, and onto the roof.

The most difficult part of it would be the wiring - you'd need to pull power, probably from the lighting. If you're not comfortable doing electrical, I'd have an electrician do that part for you. You'd need to put another switch on the plate which controls the lighting.

Installing the actual fixture would be pretty much just like installing a ceiling fan except you cut a bigger hole in the ceiling :D

Then in the attic you attach a flexible vent pipe which goes up to the roof & you'll need to cut another hole in the roof for it to exhaust outside. Do not let it exhaust into the attic (like the previous people did in my house grrrrr). Outside you need to put a proper cap on it, caulk around & replace the shingles. It's not a huge job if you can get at the attic space easily.

I know the apartment complex we used to live in had either a window in the bathroom or a a fan, not both.

I have no details for 'How to" install a vent in the bathroom but wanted to recommend Damprid. I have purchased this from Bed, Bath, & Beyond (usually in the front of the store before the the registers and don't forget your coupon) and Walmart. The website list a bunch of retailers where this can be found.

I use the refillable pack and place it behind the toilet. I have little ones so, you may be able to put elsewhere in your bathroom.

hth,

I have installed a vent fan in my bathroom shower (after replacing the wood on the walls with tile). It has an exhaust tube and opening like a dryer vents (hard style), and goes through the outside wall. It was a fan and light combo unit that we bought at Home Depot. They come in different sizes and we wanted one that would displace quite a bit of air.

We have a drop ceiling above the shower (which we also tiled) because the dryer vent runs through there too.

Code usually does specify either a fan or a window.