Menu

Is is possible to combine 2 grade levels in Vertitas Press History?

HollyBee

I am looking at Veritas Press history for next year. I have 2 dc, rising 5th grade and 3rd grade. We are doing Ancients right now (just delved into Egypt--we started hs in Jan.).

Is it possible to combine these two grades for history using VP? I really don't want to do two separate histories, but I'm intrigued by VP, especially the cards. Or, is it better to just add the cards (and possibly the memory CD) to another program like SOTW, Biblioplan (which is what I'm using now), or TOG?

:bigear:

Thanks!

Holly

I'm glad you asked this HollyBee.

I am looking at the cards for Ancients as well. My kids will be in 2nd and 5th and I plan to beef it up for my 5th grader. I'll be listening to the ideas you get to add to my ideas. My plan is to pair it with the Guerber book, The Story of the Ancients. I also hope to buy the CD from Mystery of History. My daughter has not had a ton of worksheets so this will be new ground for her. Have you looked at the IEW, they put out a writing program that people have spoken good things about. Here is the link. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=product/ancient-history-based-writing-lessons%2C-third-edition%2C-teacher/student-combo

I suppose this does not answer your original question. It is just some thoughts I had for our year of history next year. Maybe they would help.

:lurk5:

Thanks for the link, Elizabeth.

It can be done. I have a 5th, 2nd and 1st. When I started at home this year I put them all in VP History where the oldest was (she had used it in her classical private school for a few years). I didn't really intend to use it for the little one, but he couldn't stand not participating. We supplement the VP material with lots of library books (including SOTW) some of which are suggested on the card, history pockets or other hands on activities, and occasional movies but it has worked well as the basis for our studies. My oldest does more writing and outlining and my youngest does more drawing and coloring but it works. I use the cards as our outline for the year, we use the timeline from the TM, and I just add from there. We do use the memory song to help them learn the dates and sequence of events.

It is fun to have them all studying the same thing and my kids have turned into real history buffs. I find the material a little dry, but with some additions it has been great for us and has become one of their favorite subjects. We are planning to use it again next year with supplements.

We used VP for 3 years & just switched to TOG. I'll never look back! Year 4 for Veritas was SO difficult to teach to young children! (My kiddos are 8 & under.) I also wanted a program that had geography worked into it & focused on what was happening across the sea. Veritas didn't do this.

- Heather

I am looking at Veritas Press history for next year. I have 2 dc, rising 5th grade and 3rd grade. We are doing Ancients right now (just delved into Egypt--we started hs in Jan.).

Is it possible to combine these two grades for history using VP? I really don't want to do two separate histories, but I'm intrigued by VP, especially the cards. Or, is it better to just add the cards (and possibly the memory CD) to another program like SOTW, Biblioplan (which is what I'm using now), or TOG?

:bigear:

Thanks!

Holly

OH Gosh YES!!! I have used VP cards and TM's with a large age span...using it with 1rst through High School. 3rd & 5th would be a cinch.

Faithe

Agreeing that you could combine for 5th and 3rd easily. I'm not crazy about the TM and ended up doing more narrations, sometimes using the questions as prompts. But, VP adds in lots of living books, so you can just choose levels appropriate for your dc and continue to do one read aloud. I find VP gives the bones, but can be fleshed out variously depending on what books and projects are added.

HTH,

Lisa