Menu

My 14yog wants to change her name

BMW

Well, the decision is that she can try out a new name and see if it works long term and sticks. She can make a legal change much later if that is her desire. We started going through lists of names and trying out several and we like Allison (could go by Alli) and we all still like Zoe Anne. Allison is a family name, so I have been encouraging her to try it. But, Zoe Anne fits her...

I think you made a wise choice!

Cat

Some people are very surprised that Jack and Molly are nicknames for John and Mary.

I have the same difficulty trying to convince people that Megan is a nickname for Margaret. My parents have called me Megan since I was a baby and regret having put Margaret on my birth certificate. They've suggested that I legally change it, but I can't be bothered.

Regarding the orignial poster, I would let her go by Zoey for a few years to make sure she likes it, and then have it legally changed before she gets her drivers license. You'd still have minimal paperwork, but she'll have that extra bit of maturity before making such a big decision.