Menu

start WTM 2E, or wait for 3E?

Greetings! This is my first post.

My wife and I have been discerning what to do with our kids for school (the oldest will be entering K in the fall), and while we have a good public school and a very good parochial school within short walking distance, we're leaning towards homeschooling, primarily because we want to follow a classical curriculum.

We actually bought a copy of _The Well-Trained Mind_ 2nd edition a few years ago, but have only read through the prologue and just bits of chapters 3 and 4.

Because the fall is approaching, I decided that it might be good to do a thorough read of the book, but I also know that the 3rd edition is coming out in May (we plan to purchase it), and that brings me to my question: based on what we know about the 3rd edition, should I hold off on reading the 2nd edition and just wait for the 3rd, or is it safe to guess that the updates from 2nd to 3rd are primarily with regard to available resources, and that the rest of the content is nearly the same?

Just curious about the opinions of posters here.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Welcome Chris.

I get the impression that the bulk of the content is the same. There is going to be a special needs section which is new and then their recommedations for cirriculum may be different. Especially since Peace Hill Press has several new items out. You may want to delay purchasing cirriculum, but other than that either book will help you understand their approach to a classical education, which will differ from other people's approach. Have fun reading and planning and dreaming. Just realize that the actual implementation will be tweaked to fit your family's individual needs. HTH

I think that there is so much to absorb in the book that you can easily read the edition you have now. Then when/if you get the 3rd edition, you will only need to reread the portions covering the grammar years.

My other advice is not to overthink kindergarten. Fill these days with learning to read, learning to count and enjoying the joy of these days when your child is full of questions and yearning to hear your answers. Kindergarteners love stories and playing, so go for it with reading stories of all kinds and exploring science by observing the the world.

Have fun.

Chris and dw, here's my take:

Step 1: Read the book, paying particular attention to the ideas that resonate with you and make you excited about homeschooling. Talk together about those things.

Step 2: Put it on the shelf and just give it time to percolate. Pray separately during this time about your goals for your homeschool and for each of your children, taking into account who each one is and how God has gifted them.

Step 3: Get together and set you goals for both short and long terms.

Step 4: Start thinking about what you might like to apply from the book's 1) methods and 2) curriculum choices, in light of accomplishing the goals you've chosen.

Without taking time to set your goals and priorities, you may find that there is so much in the book it would be easy to have the book turn into a taskmaster instead of a guide for you.

I'd read now, because it takes time to absorb, ponder, pray and then act.

Best wishes to you and your family, and congrats on starting one of the greatest adventures imaginable! :)

should I hold off on reading the 2nd edition and just wait for the 3rd, or is it safe to guess that the updates from 2nd to 3rd are primarily with regard to available resources, and that the rest of the content is nearly the same?

Just curious about the opinions of posters here.

Thanks in advance!

Chris