Menu

Saxon 1 vs saxon K

Jzsnow

Nope.

I would not. It's pricey and I think "filler". It's fun to play with the manipulatives but no handwriting and nothing that they can't pick up quickly (or know already). My ds started it at 3. He's almost 4 now and I would not use it for anyone older.

I agree don't buy it, but if you can get a loaner copy it has some fun activites. We did Saxon K for three months (finished it that quick) and I added some pencil and paper work, she wanted to do "school". If you don't do it, just give her plenty of time to play with the manipulatives and some time where you direct her playing with them - sort the bears by color, sort the bears by size, grab ten cubes then put two back... stuff like that.

Good Luck!

Well, I like Saxon K and don't like Saxon 1. They are nothing alike. Saxon K teaches all about calendars and numbers, is tactile and has no workbook. My kids really enjoyed it in preschool. So if you want a fun, easy to do use math program that teaches a wide variety of math concepts I think it is wonderful. I have an older version of the manual that you can buy for, say $10 ppd if you want it. It's just sitting on my 'to sell' shelf. But no, it is not necessary since Saxon 1 gets into all the meaty math.

HTH!