Menu

Lightning Lit -- the good, the bad?

kailuamom

It seems most people here like LL a lot -- anybody out there not thrilled with it? And, if not, why? Just trying to plan out the new year and I hope not to make as many "mistakes" (purchase and then find it doesn't work) this time around. I am in "gather info" mode right now. :)

Also, does LL have a lot of Christian content?

Thanks!

We are using LL7 this year.

Pros:

• it's all laid out for you
  • nice variety of books and genres (biography, poetry, novel, short story, etc)
  • it uses whole books
  • secular

Cons:

• lite

This is our first adventure into literary analysis and we are mathy folks. So, although it's been "lite", I think it's a good, gentle introduction.

It is okay. The literature selections are pretty good although my son has only like one out of the three novels that he has read this year. The vocabulary is given for each novel, short story or poem. They don't do anything with the vocabulary, but I think that is because the program assumes that the students are also using a stand alone vocabulary programs.

There are comprehension questions related to each chapter of the novel. These questions are all pretty much on the literal level. I have dropped these questions in favor of having my children write a summary for every two chapters. Each novel (short story or poetry grouping), has a some literary element that is being taught. For example, my son just read The Hobbit, and the literary element that is being examined is conflict.

I don't know if I would buy more of them or not, but they are working for us this year.

Jennie

Pros

- gentle intro into literature and literary analysis

- written to the student so it can be done mostly solo

- student worksheets are varied and help student practice the literary element discussed

- great selection of literature

- not too much work -- we were still able to do other reading; a separate writing program; and a separate grammar program without stress

No real "cons" here -- it was the right amount for us and we used it at the right time for our students, so it didn't seem "lite" to us; if we had more advanced students, then I could see how it might seem so.

Check out the sample lessons to see what you think:

LL7 sample lesson = http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/3249s%20Chp%201.pdf

LL8 sample lesson = http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/3285s%20chp%201.pdf

re: Christian content

While I believe these are written by a Christian, there are no Christian comments, themes, etc. that I ever remember coming across. I believe one of the high school level LL does have Christian content, as it focuses on Christian British writers.

Edited by Lori D.
added info