Menu

Does a healthy chocolate dessert exist?

Here's a recipe I got from the drmcdougall.com board. Their newsletters are full of great recipes. I'll see if I can find more.

Chocolate Decadence Pudding

By Heather McDougall

This is a delicious sweet treat to make for your special someone this Valentine’s Day.

½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Wonderslim)

¾ cup sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

3 cups soymilk

1 ½ teaspoon vanilla

With a whisk, combine cocoa, sugar, cornstarch, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 4 hours.

Here's another one. We love all these, btw.

CHOCOLATE DELIGHT

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 2 minutes

Cooking Time: 5 minutes

Chilling Time: 3 hours

4 cups low-fat chocolate soymilk

1 ¾ cups couscous

2-3 tablespoons sugar or honey

Place the soymilk in a saucepan. Heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat, stir in couscous and sweetener. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place in a covered bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Scoop into a dessert bowl and top with fruit, if desired.

Hint: Use fresh fruit in season as a topping, or thaw frozen fruit. Fresh fruit syrups may also be used. We especially like raspberries as a topping for this dessert.

And another. 25yos made this about once a week when I discovered this one. Yummy.

CHOCOLATE CAKE

We always serve dessert after dinner at the McDougall 10-day live in program in Santa Rosa, CA. Many people do not feel that dinner is finished until they have dessert. The first night we usually have brownies as a special treat and they are always a welcome surprise. My favorite brownie recipe is in the Quick and Easy Cookbook on page 272. They are very rich and moist and we like them even better when they have been refrigerated for a day before serving. This chocolate dessert was developed with a more cake-like texture. This makes a wonderful birthday cake for your special someone! John made me promise I would caution you that these treats are for special occasions only. They are not recommended to be a part of your daily healthy meal plan. I make these when we are having guests over for dinner or family members are visiting from out of town.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Cooking Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 9-12

1 ½ cups unbleached white flour

1 cup Sucanat

¾ cup Wonderslim cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 ¼ cups chocolate soy milk

1 6-ounce container vanilla soy yogurt

1 tablespoon Wonderslim fat replacer

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ cup slivered almonds (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place the flour, Sucanat, cocoa powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, add the soy milk, soy yogurt, fat replacer and vanilla and mix until very smooth. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Add nuts, if desired, and stir into batter. Turn into a square non-stick baking pan (8 x 8 inches) and flatten into the corners with a spoon. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool. Remove from pan and cut into squares.

Hints: I make this in a square, non-stick, SiliconeZone baking pan with excellent results. After the cake has cooled slightly, remove it from the baking dish by inverting the pan before cutting into squares for serving. If you are going to frost the cake, do so after removing from the pan but before cutting into squares. Serve with Vanilla soy ice cream for a wonderful special occasion treat.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

People have been asking for a frosting recipe for many years and I finally have one that I know you will enjoy. This will make that birthday cake really special!

Preparation Time: 3 minutes

Servings: frosts one 8 inch square cake

2 cups confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)

¼ cup Wonderslim cocoa powder

¼ to 1/3 cup soy milk

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Mix well. Stir in ¼ cup of the soy milk and the vanilla and mix well. Add the remaining soy milk a little at a time until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. Use to frost cakes or brownies.

Here's one that dh and dc love. A little too much peanut butter for me, though.

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

By Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Is there a better combination than chocolate and peanut butter? This is a rich and delicious no-bake pie that will have your guests clamoring for more!

Makes 8-10 servings, depending on the size of the slices

2 cups non-dairy chocolate chips

12.3 ounces silken tofu (firm)

1 1/2 cups natural peanut butter, crunchy or smooth

1/2 cup non-dairy milk

1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (as an optional topping)

1 cup chopped nuts (as an optional topping)

1 Pecan-Date crust (see below)

Have your crust ready.

Melt the 2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave or simply by creating your own double boiler. (To do so, place the chips in a small saucepan. Set this pan in a larger pot that is filled with ¼-½ cup water. Heat over a medium flame on the stove and stir the chips in the small pot until they are melted.)

In a food processor or high-powered blender, add the tofu, peanut butter, milk, and melted chocolate chips. Blend until very smooth, adding more milk, if desired. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Serving Suggestions and Variations:

*For a Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie with a hard chocolate topping, after the pie has been chilled for 2 hours, melt 1 cup of non-dairy chocolate chips. Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the pie. If desired, add chopped nuts. Refrigerate for 2 additional hours.

*Before pouring the pie filling into the crust, spread ½ cup of peanut butter (or more!) onto the crust.

No-Bake Pecan Date Crust

This simple crust can be used for a variety of no-bake pies.

Makes 1 9 inch pie crust

2 cups raw almonds or pecans

¾ cup pitted dates, preferably Medjool

Place the nuts in a food processor and grind until they’re a coarse meal. Add the dates and process until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture into a non-stick pie plate or spring form pan.

Top with no-bake filling, and serve.

And finally ...

Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce

Colleen prepared this wonderful dessert during the McDougall 5-day Program in November, 2008. Many of the participants are planning on making this for their holiday celebrations this year. This is a rich dessert treat so keep this for special occasions!

Serves 6

You won’t miss the dairy in this rich and creamy mousse that is also perfect as a pie filling. The raspberry sauce is just lovely and complements many other desserts.

1 cup semi-sweet or other non-dairy chocolate chips

½ cup non-dairy milk

1 package Mori-Nu brand silken tofu (firm or extra firm)

1/3 cup dry sweetener of your choice (white sugar, Sucanat)

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Add the chips to a microwave-safe bowl or double boiler (see hint below) and melt, using gentle heat and stirring often. Remove from heat.

Open the box of tofu and pour it into a blender or food processor. Add the melted chocolate and non-dairy milk, sweetener, and vanilla. Process until completely smooth, pausing the blender or food processor to scrape down the sides and under the blade, if necessary.

Chill the mixture in serving bowls – or, if desired, in a low-fat graham cracker or cookie crust – for at least 1 hour before serving. Drizzle with raspberry sauce before serving.

*A word about tofu: There are many different types of tofu available, ranging from silken and soft to firm and extra firm, but there are also differences within those variations depending on the brand you buy or the way it’s packaged. The perfect textured tofu for this dish is one that is very firm. I recommend a silken tofu for this recipe. Though there are some silken tofu brands in the refrigerated section, it’s just as easy to seek out the silken tofu that is sold in aseptic boxes (which means it doesn’t have to be refrigerated until it is opened), so you can keep it in your cupboard until you’re ready to use it. You might find it in the Asian section. Don’t be confused if the box of “silken†tofu says “firm†or “extra firm.†There is a small difference between “silken firm†and “silken extra firm,†so either one will do.

Hint: To create your own “double boilerâ€: Place the chips in a small saucepan. Set this pan inside a larger pot that is filled with ¼-½ cup water. Heat the pots over a medium flame on the stove and stir the chips in the small pot until they are melted. This prevents the chips from burning.

Raspberry Sauce

2 cups fresh or 10 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed

¼ cup dry sweetener (Sucanat or white sugar)

In a blender, combine the raspberries and Sucanat. Then blend to a smooth sauce. It will store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Hint: What is Sucanat? Sucanat, made from evaporated sugar cane juice, has a mild but distinct flavor, with a hint of molasses. It can be found in health food stores or in the bulk section of any large natural foods supermarket.

Funny...I was just about to post something on our blog that my daughter made today.

This wouldn't be necessarily a "company's coming" dessert but something guilt free, healthy and delicious for the kids.

My dd11 has always been a pudding lover, but we cut it out a great deal because of the milk/sugar etc...

We found this in a raw food recipe book and love the taste, consistency etc. From my blog:

I'm not posting measurements because this is one of those "by taste" recipes. Whatever your preference is...experiment!

Ms. D's Avocado Chocolate Pudding

1 Avocado

Organic Cocoa Powder

Agave Nector (for sweetness)

bit of almond milk for moisture

1/2 banana (optional)

Blend to a pudding like consistency.

HTH,

Ms. D's Avocado Chocolate Pudding

1 Avocado

Organic Cocoa Powder

Agave Nector (for sweetness)

bit of almond milk for moisture

1/2 banana (optional)

Blend to a pudding like consistency.

Thank you for this one - it's all things I have on hand, and I know my kids will love the surprise tomorrow! (Two of my three dc have never ever had pudding - so it will be a definate treat!)