Menu

Gall Bladdar Attack...

my mom just called to say she has been up all night with a gallbladder attack. She knew the stones were there but this is the first time she has had symptoms this severe.

She has a call into the doctor but was on the internet researching some of the natural remedies as well...

Anyone have any experience with this?? Do they work? Of course we'd love for her NOT to have invasive surgery (she is a very active 71)

Would love to hear any input.

Thanks so much!!

Blessings,kathi

I had mine out cause I just couldn't control it, and the pain was great to me. My grandmother, passed with hers still in her, she wouldn't have the surgery. All she did was avoid fatty foods, that is really what triggers the attack; the fattier or spicer the food the worse the attack. However, ever since I had my gallbladder out, I haven't been able to eat the same. I get sever diareahhea and stomach cramps if I eat the wrong thing, it has taken me 7 years to figure out what I can and cannot eat. This does not happen to everyone but it does happen. My friend had hers removed and now she has the same problems I have had. If she can watch her diet and find a few other things to help I would so go that route vs. surgery. I am not sure this is going to help but just sharing my experience

I'm so sorry to hear that your mother is having gallbladder problems. I'm set to have surgery next month for the same reasons.

I did ask my doctor about natural therapies to eliminate gallstones, and while he is generally very positive about natural approaches, he said he didn't recommend it in this case. Here's a typical natural flush regimen. The idea is to bring on an attack with the hope of flushing the stones out. Unfortunately, if the number and size of the stones is large, all you'll get for your trouble is a lot of pain. Honestly, I wouldn't try this except with a doctor's guidance.

Can your mother have an ultrasound so her doc can evaluate the extent of the problem? There are some medications that can be used to dissolve gallstones. The success rate is not great with them either, which is why so many people just opt for surgery. Most people can have laparoscopic surgery which makes the recovery time short and relatively easy. But it's worth looking into other options. Her doctor should be able to help and can also prescribe some pain medication to have on hand if she does have another attack while she's sorting out treatment options.

I wish her all the best. Gallbladder pain is miserable!

route. My mother and fil have both had their gallbladder removed and haven't been able to eat the same since. My mother still has the same pain. So, I'm going "a la natural" before I go through surgery. There's plenty of information online about it.

HTH!

I had a terrible attack a year ago wich led me to research options other than surgery. I eat a low fat( you do want good fats though; olive oil, avocados, nuts, seeds), high fiber diet and drink plenty of water. I have had 3 minor attacks since then, two after eating cheese, so now I avoid that too and switched to a vegan diet. I don't know if I will be able to avoid surgery forever, but for now, this is wokring for me. As an added bonus I have gone from 267# to 184 and feel great.

I did research the flushes and I, personally, don't think they work. I can't imagine consuming a 1/2 cup of olive oil :eek:

I had gb problems for years before I finally had mine out. I'm so glad I did. It was an easy surgery with a quick recovery and I felt much better afterward. I can eat pretty much what I want now, as long as I don't go overboard on the fat at any one sitting.

I researched the natural remedies, and I really wouldn't recommend them. I've heard both that they are not at all effective, and that they work well. The problem is, if they are not effective, then you risk having a gallstone get stuck (which is dangerous, not just painful), because you were trying to fix it yourself. If they are effective, you risk the same thing because the "flush" you drink could dislodge a large gallstone and it could get stuck as well.

Either way, I don't think it's worth the risk.

With all due respect to Quiver (I think you're doing great, btw :) ) I think it's worth having the surgery and not suffering for 7 long years like I did.

after suffering for over a year with pain. I tried a couple of natural remedies, none worked. I didn't have gallstones though, mine was just dying, slowly.

My diet did change, but only a little. I still love and eat spicy food (I love to cook Cajun), but I don't eat beef any more because it really irritates me now. I have found that I enjoy Ostrich meat. It has the same consistency and taste as beef, but it doesn't irritate my system. Other than beef, I eat whatever I want.

By the way, the surgery is done out patient these days and is very easy. Mine took 20 minutes. They made four tiny incisions. It was very much like orthoscopic surgery. I was up and walking about just hours after. They gave me pain pills to bring home, but I never took any, not one. The key to healing is walking. Walk, walk, and then walk some more. The more you walk after surgery the faster the pain goes away. Good luck with your surgery Plaid Dad!

I had mine out in 1995 after a year of attacks. I have not been able to eat the same either, but that's actually for the better. :) The biggest problem it caused for me was IBS (primarily stress) and an occasional discomfort in the area of the GB caused by scar tissue. You will not necessarily have that particular issue, though. The procedure now is much better and they can remove it even with stones present. I had to have the stones removed before they would do laproscopy, otherwise I would have a scar like my mother had, :eek: across the belly. Two of my sisters had it done within the last 2 years and have none of those problems.

Paula in PA

With all due respect to Quiver (I think you're doing great, btw :) ) I think it's worth having the surgery and not suffering for 7 long years like I did.

Not to worry. If I have to have a GB removed one day it's not the end of the world. I am hoping I wont have to of course, but I know there is a good chance I will have to. For now this is working, although I did have a minor attack 2 weeks ago even with eating good. That was frustrating, so we shall see.

I had mine out 3 weeks (to the day) after my first child was borne.

I had never had problems before. But suffered a weekly attack beginning about day 4 post partum. I began avoiding fatty/spicy foods and drinking lots of pure apple juice (even bought the expensive stuff), and following the regimen in my home health cures book my mother swears by. The diet didn't work for me, and my attacks grew worse.

2 1/2 weeks later, after being up all night, I began throwing up and running a fever. I was off to the ER for emergency surgery. My gallbladder was now swollen, and I was in danger land.

If you experience vomiting and/or fever -- during or after an attack, you probably need to be seen very quickly. A gall bladder can burst -- like an appendix, and at that point it is life threatening.