Menu

Churchill's, "A History of the English Speaking Peoples"?

Looks like you're going to need to write one!

I've been reading this, too, often aloud to my boys. We consider this "fun" reading, not formal history.

For what it's worth, I'll share my approach, my sense of where the value lies, in using what I consider to be very "dated" material, like Churchill's and, for instance, Van Loon (Story of Mankind and Geography - two of my all time favorites; I love that man, and wondered where he'd been all my life when I first discovered him). There are the obvious benefits, the way these particular men use language, for instance, with a beauty, grace and humor that we don't often find in contemporary works.

But when we read Churchill or Van Loon, there are certain questions that we always ask, and they are beginning to become automatic for my boys:

• What was happening in the world when he was writing this?
  • Why would this be important to this author, when current authors don't mention this at all?
  • This seems a little odd. Have we found archaeological evidence that contradicts this, since this book was written?
  • This was a pretty common bias in 1962 - how do we feel now? Why?

And then there are other questions, usually about data (for instance, about the population of the planet), that crop up, just because the world has changed. We look that stuff up.

I get a sick feeling when I read about or I hear people talking about "critical thinking" - we're just in love with this *idea*, but what does it really mean, when you're talking about a 6 year old, for instance? But I think critical thinking, critical reading, is exactly what we're doing when we approach Van Loon or Churchill. But it's enjoyable and natural. It doesn't feel like work.

I loved the thread earlier this week about what makes a "thinking" child, and for me, it's all about creating a safe place for my boys to make connections and ask tough questions. This is a little mischievous of me, but I also like to look at a period of history or an event or a person by comparing the views of authors whose biases are radically different - Howard Zinn and William Buckley (insert a little giggle here).

This doesn't at all answer your question, but I wanted to put this out there, because I'm curious about the way others approach Churchill, and I was hoping to get the ball rolling with some conversation about him and how we use some of these older gems.

I do so love the prose, parts of Churchill just beg to be read aloud. It is as pleasing to the tongue as a good red wine. When reading with the kids I do have a stack of reference material so we can ask and answer those types of questions that come up. I wish I could write a guide but as much as I am a history addict and an organizing fiend, I am under-qualified for sure to do so.

I just bought a copy of Van Loon at a bookstore that was going out of business, I can't wait. I also was able to snag Churchill's 6 volume WWII set.

He is such a joy to read and a true product of his times.

Hey, I know, YOU write one and I will be your first customer!

Very nice.

You will not be disappointed with Van Loon. I found that a local university library has a copy of his book about ships that sailed the 7 seas. I read just the introduction to my boys, who are fiends about Horatio Hornblower and everything to do with the British navy and the Napoleonic wars -- and then I had to return the book! He was quite the truth-teller, a straight shooter.

Ok, I'll just start getting up at 3am instead of 4 and get right to work on that study guide!!! Another project is just what I need....:D

Actually, let's just get Plaid Dad to write it. Yeah, that's it!

Very nice.

You will not be disappointed with Van Loon. I found that a local university library has a copy of his book about ships that sailed the 7 seas. I read just the introduction to my boys, who are fiends about Horatio Hornblower and everything to do with the British navy and the Napoleonic wars -- and then I had to return the book! He was quite the truth-teller, a straight shooter.

Ok, I'll just start getting up at 3am instead of 4 and get right to work on that study guide!!! Another project is just what I need....:D

Actually, let's just get Plaid Dad to write it. Yeah, that's it!

What is the title of the book about the ships? I am not so much a Horatio Hornblower fan but I have been reading the Bernard Cornwell books about the Napoleonic wars (and drooling over the dvd versions with Sean Bean). We have a snow day so the kids will be outside all day and I can read to my hearts content!! Hurrah!

Lucky you. We're in the pacific northwest -- our daffodils and tulips are up, but not blooming. I can't imagine a snow day.

Hmm, I cut and pasted this, and now it's huge, which I didn't intend. I often prowl around in used book stores and have never seen this anywhere except in the college library.

Van Loon, Hendrik Willem, 1882-1944

Ships and how they sailed the seven seas (5000 B.C.-A.D.1935)

New York, Simon and Schuster, 1935

Van Loon (Story of Mankind and Geography - two of my all time favorites; I love that man, and wondered where he'd been all my life when I first discovered him). There are the obvious benefits, the way these particular men use language, for instance, with a beauty, grace and humor that we don't often find in contemporary works.

Amazingly good. Jaw-dropping-ly good.

I felt the same way. "Where have I been? Under a rock somewhere?"

And he lines up nicely, er, philosophically. :D

Did you know that Van Loon's wife was the great-granddaughter of Nathaniel Bowditch of Carry On, Mr. Bowditch fame?

I knew there was another Van Loon fan here, and I was thinkin' in was you, Sister of the Flaming Sword!

I think I knew, but had forgotten, about the Mr. Bowditch connection. Thanks for reminding me.

And philisophically.... yes! My oldest son is 16 and I find that he is very much concerned with aligning himself with a "side" -- differentiating himself from others. He "agrees with" certain authors, and "disagrees with" others. (I'm workin' hard here, trying not to get political, but also trying not to be so vague as to be meaningless. It isn't easy!) I don't remember being very aware -- or aware at all -- of politics and I certainly did not align myself with a philosophy or party. I was thinking, a-hem, about boys, to be honest. All this is to say that, yes, we love our Hendrik.