Menu

Warts - Reprise

Some of you might remember me asking for warty individuals to try a new treatment (apple cider vinegar) in the name of science. This was last year, and my son wanted to know if it worked for most people. Shortly after, I went on a "web-free binge," and although I've been back for a month or so, I've been procrastinating... :blushing:

We had hoped to do a real "scientific trial," but we were totally unable to meet those standards. We didn't end up with that many people, and the people who helped us didn't all use the same products, and we had no control (people who did not treat their similar warts), so our study was decidedly not scientific. However, the results we did have were very promising. Just so everyone knows, the experiment asked anyone with warts to bandage on a scrap of fabric or a tiny little cotton pad soaked in raw apple cider vinegar to their warts for three consecutive nights, and to repeat this procedure every other week until you were wart-free or sick of vinegar.

Of the people who reported back to me, 72% had success in treating their warts. My dd, who had had terrible warts for 2 years (over 20 on her two hands), and had gone through every treatment suggested by our dermatologist, was wart free in 2 weeks. In fact, we treated her for only 3 nights, at which point the warts turned black and started to harden. Within 2 more weeks they were gone entirely. My ds and I both got rid of our warts too, altho I will throw in a tip that someone sent to me: if your wart is small, coat the surrounding area with petroleum jelly before putting on the vinegar bandage. After three nights, I had a horrible sore that took a while to heal (Got rid of the wart tho' :D).

The other good news was that folk who used all sorts of different types of vinegar still had success. So use the cheap white distilled vinegar or what ever you have available. The only bad news was that this treatment did not work at all for any plantars warts. It also didn't work for some totally normal warts - who knows why?

Thanks to all of you who helped us. We appreciated it, although it took me a very long time to say "Thanks!"

Hi, Sunkirst-

I took part in your study initially. My dd had about 20 warts on her two palms and thumbs. We started with the apple cider program, and it seemed to work initially. But then more warts started popping up. Pretty soon she had 35 warts.

We went to the dermatologist. She started dd on tagamet, and used the chemical burn liquid. Tagamet is usually used as an antacid, but in about 50% of cases it will reduce the severity of warts in children. Evidently it attacks the underside of the wart, so the patient's imune system can get at it.

I think the tagamet did the trick on my dd, because some warts were in places that the chemical burn liquid was not applied (under a toenail.) I think the chemical burning speeded up the process. It took about 3 months on the tagamet, getting her warts burned off every 10 days. Ouch!

So you just soak a band-aid in vinegar and keep it on the wart? My 4 yr old has had two warts on his fingers for almost a year and I wasn't sure how to treat them- he's too young to burn or freeze them off, wouldn't be worth the trauma. I read something on Dr.Sear's website awhile back from one of his son's who compared using a band-aid with salicylic acid to just leaving it be, and most fell off on their own faster. But my ds's are still there.

So you just soak a band-aid in vinegar and keep it on the wart? My 4 yr old has had two warts on his fingers for almost a year and I wasn't sure how to treat them- he's too young to burn or freeze them off, wouldn't be worth the trauma. I read something on Dr.Sear's website awhile back from one of his son's who compared using a band-aid with salicylic acid to just leaving it be, and most fell off on their own faster. But my ds's are still there.

Soak a piece of cotton in vinegar, and put it on the wart with a band-aid over it. Works for many people.

If that doesn't work, try a slice of garlic under a band-aid.

I just wanted to add that I recently used banana peels on my daughters warts (she had almost 30 on her knees and hands). One of her warts was bigger than a pencil eraser. I used them for about 4 days by puting them on with a band-aid at night and some during the day. We stopped and they were looking better, but just kept getting better even though we weren't doing the treatment anymore. A few weeks later they were all completely gone! We had tried prescriptions, over the counter stuff and having them frozen at the doctors office. This was the only thing that worked and it didn't hurt a bit.

Oh my golly, Pam, your poor daughter! What a miserable thing for her to have to go through. When we had the freezing/blister beetle liquid treatments it was so painful for Me (with 2 warts), and I know it had to be so much worse for my little girl. She bore it stoically in hopes that it would help, but more warts just kept starting all the time. I'm sorry if I brought extra misery to your house, and I'm glad that both of our girls are finally wart-free.

It's odd all the different things that are used to treat warts, and how they can be simple and work perfectly for one, and not at all for another. I've read that some think it has to do with the particular viral strain of the individual's warts, and then there's the school of thought that we all have slightly different triggers to our immune system. From what I remember, most of the topical treatments are simply trying to get the body to recognize that the wart is a foreign body so that a defense will be mounted against it. Once that step happens, the body recognizes and eliminates all of that type of wart, even if it was not treated (my dd had some on her face from thumb-sucking, and they went away spontaneously when the others were treated).

Here's to the hope that all wart sufferers out there find the treatment that works for them!

You've given me new hope. I recently took my 8yodd in to the doctor to have a wart on her finger cauterized, then sliced off and cauterized again (at which point I FAINTED). It was the smell of burning flesh that did me in. I will probably never be allowed in a procedure room with my dd again.

If at all possible I'll do the apple cider vinegar or banana peel route. Much less fuss for all of us. I don't think I could go through the original procedure again in this lifetime.