Menu

? about ds playing video games AND watching cartoon network at same time

If this were a single parent household, there would be no video games in my house, but it's not. The compromise is limits set on ds's screen time.

Ds13 has taken to playing video games and getting cartoon network up on the computer so he's got them going at the same time. Drives me nuts. If I could keep computer and video game in separate rooms I would, but that's not a possibility.

Dh and I disagree about this. I say that 2 things going at the same time is not good. Ds will be getting into classes that require focus and concentration. Having 2 things going at same time does not help him focus or concentrate. Dh says we live in a multi-tasking world and points out that I do it all the time, as I work, homeschool, and fritter time away (ie. research) on these boards.

So, do I get him some headphones and let him at it? It bother me that he does this, but it bothers me more that I can hear it.

Can I just state that homeschooling a puberty child is extremely trying? :banghead:

As someone who did all their homework all the way through college sitting in front of the TV, I honestly wouldn't be worried about this at all. Some people are just better about handling two things at once that others. I really don't think this will affect his attention span at all. But since it obviously is stressing you out, you will need to deal with this. headphones works, or maybe just having him close his door. I hope you can find a solution.

That is not a battle I would fight. The battle I would fight is the one you are fighting, which is limiting screen time. He will probably (no guarantees) not be able to get as much done with his video game as he wants to if he is also watching cartoons. Thus, if you limit time, he will probably , give up cartoons on his own. Or he will continue doing it, but it will only be a limited time. If the noise is too much, tell him he must play the games on mute. I don't think doing the two activites together will cause him to lose any more focus then doing them separate. Annoying yes, but at 13 there are so may other battles.

Some people are just wired differently. My dh cannot read, talk on the phone or study with any noise (i.e. radio, tv, children talking) in the background. He needs to totally concentrate. Which strikes me as odd, because he's a pilot, and must multitask in the cockpit....whatever.

I, on the other hand, cannot study in the library. Too durrned quite for me. Through highschool, undergrad and now in grad school, I need some background noise. If I'm in the library, I have to have my ipod w/headphones. I can also read a book and watch tv (unless the show is Lost, that takes my full attention) and comprehend/recall both. This drives my dh crazy, but I truly cannot concentrate if it is very quite.

My 9 year old who has ADHD has been doing this for YEARS. Only, he can actually play ds, watch a DVD, and listen to music on his i-pod at the same time. Honestly, it wears me out thinking about it. Weirdly enough, he still "gets" it. It is like his brain NEEDS that much stimulation to function properly or something. I let him have at it. If that is how he wants to spend his hour a day of Movie/game time, then so be it.

ETA: Yes, headphones are a MUST.