Menu

Need Beginning Reader Suggestions

I like the readers that go along with my ds's phonics program. We use Horizons K Phonics. I'm not sure if you can purchase them separately, but might could get them used. Their titles are Ann's Cat, Mike's Bike, Clem's Snake, and Van's Scarecrow. There are 40 stories in each book. I like A Beka's readers as well.

Have you looked at ABeka's Basic Phonics Reader Set or K5 Beginnings Reader Set (also found at BJUP)? These were both recommended to me by an SWR Trainer. Also, do you have Wanda Sanseri's recommended book list?

BTW, I like the idea you had about R&S's 1st grader readers (I believe I saw them listed on your blog), so I might add those to our inventory further down the road. ;)

We are having great success using the Primary Phonics from our library! It is published by EPS and our library has 5 bound sets that progress for the child to read. Each set has 10 little stories in it. I have my son read one of the stories along with Phonics Pathways, ETC 1.5 and Zaner-Bloser handwriting each school day.

We have a nice set of books from Nora Gaydos. I think the series is called "Now I'm Reading" but I'm glad you posted this thread. We do need a bigger selection.

They are great! She has 4 different levels that move up gradually and with normal phonics. It has worked very well with SWR for me. Also, the kid get 4 stickers that they get to put in the book when they finish. My boys LOVED them. I think they are much better than the Bob books because they have colorful cartoon characters.

We also like the Pathway readers.

HTH!