Menu

Missionary work and small children

I have thought a lot about doing some sort of service/missionary work in other countries, but I have no idea how this works when you have small children. I really dont know how to go about it at all. I would idealy love to serve for an extended period of time but again I am not sure how this all works. Are their organizations that you sign up with? Do you have to go through a church here in the states? Are their outreach programs? Do you pay them for your time serving? Generally are your room and board provided? Are kids welcome to come and participate?

Can anyone tell me about their experiances with this.

Edited by caitlinsmom

We've gone to Asia and South America several times, but it was always through contacts that our church had in those countries. We started taking our older boys when they were about 11. Our older three have all gone with us, the three youngest (9, 10, 11) are waiting their turn.

It was a wonderful exerience for them and I would highly recommend it. I'm not sure about taking small children, as I've never done that.

Does your denomination have a sending organization? If not, there are MANY non-denominational sending organizations out there. If you're talking long-term, you would have to raise your own support, which would pay for all of your living expenses including housing, food, travel, insurance, retirement, etc. Young children are very welcome in long-term service organizations that I'm familiar with. We lived overseas as missionaries with our oldest daughter and our son was born while we were serving. Travel can be a little daunting to say the least (luggage, stroller, car seat, diaper bag, etc on a plane. Yikes!) It was a wonderful experience, but all things will depend on the organization. I'm sure there are many others here who can also comment on their past or current experience.

Edited by mommahawk
typo