Menu

Cross-stitchers, I was wondering...

Go to DMC online for projects beginning tips etc If you live near a Barnes or Borders they have magazines for cross stitchers with little card projects complete with floss and aida cloth-buy a magazine with one of those little projects on the front cover and you are off to the races. My favorite website for threads, pattersn, inspiration and recipes is the following link:

http://www.nordicneedle.com/ Beware no schoolwork and certainly not any housekeeping will be accomplished once you look at the swonderful projects here. My faovrite magazine for projects and kits is availible at Barnes and Noble and is from the UK . Link follows

http://www.crossstitchermagazine.co.uk/

The best book for all things related to cross stitch and related counted fabric work is The New Cross Stitch Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Stitchers-Bible-Stitch-Charles/dp/0715325450/ref=pd_sim_b_14 I love this book and it is everything you need to know in one resource. I am so glad you asked as this is a passion of mine taken up to give my hands something to do when I quit smoking 2.5 years ago. I had needlepointed in the past but this is so much more satisfying to me. Enjoy and please email if you need more links I have hundreds...that's just the way I roll.

Elizabeth has great advice!

I would also see if you can take a class somewhere. If you don't have a needlework shop nearby try community ed. Or the embroiderers' guild.

http://www.egausa.org/scripts/phpDealerLocator/index.php

Here is a cross-stitch shop I love. I've only bought stuff online.

http://www.thesilverneedle.net/cross_stitch_designers.php?Reloaded=True&osCsid=eca536f669c8c7b6af096bee83adb17d

I like very simple, small designs. I linked you to the designer pages. Heart-n-Hand, Pine Mountain & LizzieKate have simple, small projects that'd be good for a beginner.

And this is JMHO: Don't worry if you don't like most of the crossstitch kits & designs at your mass-market craft store like Michael's or JoAnn's. There is no way you can see the true picture of crossstitching at a store like those.

Have fun. Start slowly.

It's so easy...I'd just recommend picking up a simple all in one kit and go for it. They all contain directions, but basically the material has little boxes woven in. You thread your needle (no knots) and make an x. Try to make all your x's begin and end the same way. You can begin your stitches by making an \ and continue on per your pattern, then back track with the / or just make x after x following the pattern.

Michael's, Walmart and any fabric store carry the kits. Get an easy one for kids and you'll be an expert before you know.

Wow. Thank you for this information. I used to love to cross-stitch but have set it aside the last few years due to my daughters' busy schedules.

When you mentioned an embroiderers' guild, I thought that might be a great way to get back into it. I clicked on the link to look for a chapter and found one less than 5 blocks away.

I am going to go to the next meeting.

Wish me luck,

It's so easy...I'd just recommend picking up a simple all in one kit and go for it. They all contain directions, but basically the material has little boxes woven in. You thread your needle (no knots) and make an x. Try to make all your x's begin and end the same way. You can begin your stitches by making an \ and continue on per your pattern, then back track with the / or just make x after x following the pattern.

Michael's, Walmart and any fabric store carry the kits. Get an easy one for kids and you'll be an expert before you know.

Another hint: Start in the middle of the chart. Shade the middle square w/pencil. That can always be your reference point.

I live in Silver Needle land and LOVE that store. It's a minor addiction. The ladies in there are wonderful as well. I love the beginner book that Elizabeth listed. I don't like kits myself. I find the canvas is usually too small it's hard to get a hoop around it all to do the edges properly. I even had a woman (a beginner) come to me once with a kit, and it turned out the canvas was precisely half an inch too small to even do the pattern! I think that was a fluke, though. Good luck and have fun... it's a fun hobby!