Menu

Working 9-5 and homeschooling logistics ???

Soph

It looks like I will be going back to work. I am agonizing over my resume right now. (I haven't worked in 10 years!!!)

I REALLY want to avoid putting my guys in school, but I am not sure about the logistics of this. I have family who can watch the boys during the day... so can homeschooling mostly evenings after work WORK?

Right now or schooling is very teacher intensive. My guys are 11 and 9. We do a lot of read-alouds for history, Lively latin, Prof B math, and other teacher dependent things. As I contemplate schedules and work weariness in the evenings I was beginning to consider something like the Robinson Curriculum. It would be a radical change!

I know I am not the only one in this situation. Anyone here have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

I don't know what your schedule will be and I think working day shift and then schooling would be more difficult than schooling and then going to work because of attention spans, being tired, etc.

I had to work full time pretty much all of last year. I chose to work 3-11 (I'm an RN so I could choose). I did all of the lessons before I left and checked everything the next day. We also schooled on Saturday if I was off and gave them a different day off that week. My husband would be home but like you, everything we were using was teaher intensive. I am in the process of switching some things that would be easy for someone else to teach if needed. Could you do any lessons with them in the evening and have them do the written work the next day (at your relatives house)? Or maybe your husband could take over at least one subject. I found that we managed okay because educating my children is a top priority here. My house on the other hand.....let's just say it suffered a lot. I didn't make many meals. My kids did almost no activities. etc. Hope that helps. Angela

Right now or schooling is very teacher intensive. My guys are 11 and 9. We do a lot of read-alouds for history, Lively latin, Prof B math, and other teacher dependent things.

I'm not in your situation, but I'll throw out a couple of thoughts, maybe they'll be useful.

You mentioned that schooling is very teacher intensive with three examples: read alouds, Latin, and math (and I know you said other things, but I'm working with what I see in your post). What about narrowing the teacher intensive things down to *skills* that you want your kids to have? For example, sure, read alouds are teacher intensive, but could they read them on their own? My kids do a lot of reading on their own, but they need me for math and Latin (and grammar and writing and lit. discussion, which are also skills). You might be able to eliminate things that are teacher intensive, if you think in terms of "What skills do they need me to go over with them every day? What things can I get them to read about on their own?" The reading on their own could even prepare them for skills work with you the next day - for example, you tell them to read this biography. Next day (or next week) you use that biography for writing practice with you.

And then maybe once you sort out what the teacher intensive skill subjects are, you could sort out who is going to teach what, whether it be all you in the evenings, or if you get a caretaker to teach one or two skill subjects while you're at work.

hth

Edited by Colleen in NS

and add the other things you would like to do in the evenings. You don't have to buy the RC, just implement the method using your own book list. Have your dc do their math, read for a couple of hours (maybe 1/2 hour literature, 1/2 hour science, 1/2 hour history and 1/2 hour of free reading), then write a one-page narration on what they read for history or science. In the evenings you can do your read aloud and work on Latin. You could also go over and correct their grammar/spelling in their narrations and have them rewrite them the next day before doing their new narration.

I definitely think this could work, and still give your dc a great education.

HTH!

It looks like I will be going back to work. I am agonizing over my resume right now. (I haven't worked in 10 years!!!)

I REALLY want to avoid putting my guys in school, but I am not sure about the logistics of this. I have family who can watch the boys during the day... so can homeschooling mostly evenings after work WORK?

Right now or schooling is very teacher intensive. My guys are 11 and 9. We do a lot of read-alouds for history, Lively latin, Prof B math, and other teacher dependent things. As I contemplate schedules and work weariness in the evenings I was beginning to consider something like the Robinson Curriculum. It would be a radical change!

I know I am not the only one in this situation. Anyone here have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

I work more than I want to. It's not easy. But it is doable. I am also looking to switch fields into something that will give me more flexibility, something I lack now. I think you need to focus in on efficient products. I don't know a thing about Robinson. But I say, there's no harm in doing things that are more time-effective for you as opposed to less. For us, Galore Park materials are fabulous. If I had to work 9 to 5 weekdays, I would probably use Galore Park for English, Science and History at this point with both kids. These are high quality texts and they are comprehensive. You don't need to add a thing to English other than outside reading and the texts guide you on that. I'd add in some DVD's--we love Sister Wendy for Art History, for example. For math, I would choose something that the kids could do more independently rather than less. For example, I know it has mixed reviews, but I'd look at Teaching Textbooks for now. We used it and I felt it didn't have enough built in review for my child, but that's just my child. I also think I could have put her up a level too high after hearing how "easy" it was. ;) For foreign language, I would wait until my oldest was in 7th and sign him up for one of the online classes through Potter's School or Angus Dei. For Art and Music, I would probably look to a local organization to get them into music lessons and an art class on the weekend. I would not worry about doing that myself. For your older child, this still gives you a few years until you have to think about high school. I know GP will have English for 8th/9th (unsure which grade, specifically, it's geared for) grade coming out soon, too. Once I was through with the Galore Park History, I'd probably look at Sonlight Core 100 to start 8th grade with. It's directed to the student, too. But you still have time to worry about that later. This is all just to say that this is what I would probably look at doing to give you some ideas. Anything that you can come up with that gets the job done and saves you time and hassle is the way to go IMO.

Best wishes to you!

Anita

Not a lot of suggestions to add just to let you know I'm having to go back to work after 13 years of being home myself. I'll be working at night so I can be with them in the day. My husband will be home with them at night. I am going to try and plan out two weeks to a month ahead of time instead of just a week. This is a very hard and scary thing at least for me. I love being home but at times like these I have to go to work. I am making it into a life lessons for my kids. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to pay bills and eat. I will make an extra effort to cuddle with them and read and on my days off go to the park more.

I'm wishing the best of luck to you,

Felicia

Hi Soph,

I feel for you - I'm probably going to have to work too. And like you I haven't worked in ten years. I'm hoping to find a job where I can work 2nd shift and weekends, or something I can do at home, so I can continue to homeschool.

Some other self-study programs are: Alpha Omega Lifepaks (they have one for every subject; Alpha Omega Switched On Schoolhouse; I think ACE curriculum is self-study (not sure)...those are a few to start with.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how things work out.

Blessings,

Sherri

I don't have a lot of suggestions because my kids are younger, but Teaching Textbooks are independent. CLE can be independent, Growing with grammar, easy grammar, wordsmith apprentice are all independent. I just applied for my first full time job ever tonight. My dh is going to go to college and will stay home with the kids during the day and study. I will homeschool them in the evenings when I get home and dh will go to school then.I'm nervous but excited:)

Work on getting their reading level up to at or near 12th grade level by teaching them Webster's Speller and my online reading lessons before you start working--then they can read anything on their own.

Video math.

Read their own history and science.

Let them help choose programs that they would be inspired to read/do on their own.

A lot of books on tape (most libraries have extensive collections or can get to extensive collections through loan.)

Will you work close enough that you could do a working lunch with them and teach them while talking with your mouth full once or twice a week?

I work full time and homeschool pretty successfully BUT I choose as much "independent" work as I can for the day time hours:

math- MUS

Latin- Henle

Writing- IEW DVD lessons

Greek- Hey Andrew

History- Famous Men of series

Science- Education Exploration

Bible- Greenleaf Guide to OT

Reading- list of novels

He also does Awana, Piano and Art classes.

He does the lessons during the day, I check them at night. Read-alouds are before bed. It's busy but it works!

THANKS guys!

Y'all really helped me calm down a bit. I am sure I'll be able to figure something out that will work.

I panicked a bit the other day because I started applying for 9-5 office style jobs. Up until now I've been looking for part-time or shift work (hospitals, grocery stores, etc.)

I hate to tell y'all, but there is no work out there! I actually thought it would be easy to make extra money over christmas with retail, but no go, nothing. I've been calling all the groceries and Costcos in the area and they are freaking out themselves. Most of them told me they were expecting lay-offs any minute. Scary.

Wish me luck!

Hi, I just saw this post and thought I would add my experience. This is our 4th year homeschooling and I have always worked full-time (gone from home 7:30 - 5:00ish). It has worked well for us - although I have nothing to compare to. My husband is home with my girls during the day. He teaches math with them and I leave plenty of other work that they do independently during the day (spelling, handwriting, ETC for my 1st grader and spelling, grammar, logic, latin practice, readings in history and science for my 5th grader). My husband also takes the kids to all the extra curricular events during the day (girl scouts, soccer, park day, play dates, etc.). He also has dinner waiting when I get home at 5:00 every night. This allows us to eat right away and start school at 5:30 pm.

I'm in charge of all subjects other than math, so we look over the work they did during the day and make corrections. I do OPGTR, FLL, WWE with my 1st grader at night and with my oldest we do Writing Tales and Latin at this time. Then on MWF we do history and on T TH we do sceince (both of which are read aloud intensive). We usually wrap up around 7:00-7:30 pm.

We use Saturdays as necessary for catch up and for art/music. I also incorporate a lot of history and science reading into our bedtime read alouds.

I hope this helps...feel free to pm me if you have more questions.