Menu

Help! DH wants to give dd Tylenol cold & cough med.

She has a scratchy throat, which hurts when she coughs (cough isn't terrible yet) and her nose is "sore". I want to use saline spray and my org "throat" tea. DD won't have anything to do with those things, and dh bought the Tylenol today. All of the ped. say not to give them anything like that now.

Anything?

What about some motrin?

I haven't verified this with a ped, yet.....My dd had a persistant, non-productive cough that was hurting her throat. Friend's doctor had told them to use ibuprofin. I "believe" it helps reduce inflammation in the passageways. I would think it might also reduct the throat pain.

Whatever the reason, I felt comfortable with trying the motrin and it seemed like it helped.

Children's cough and cold meds are still readily available. The only thing that changed was the age recommendation on the bottle.

If your dd's throat hurts, why not give her some ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) and a Sucret to suck on? That will ease the pain. I'd certainly avoid the cough/cold stuff, though.

Oh, the saline spray sounds like an excellent idea.

Ria

We give children's Tylenol or Motrin for fever and/or pain, and children's Sudafed for a stuffy head or nose that keeps the child awake. Our doc reminded us to dose by the child's weight, not age - important since our dd is petite. Otherwise, it's just rest and fluids.

Hope your dd is feeling better soon!

Yeah, I would stay away from the cold formulas - they're ineffective and can have unpleasant or serious side effects. (And I can't believe they're still available)

Tylenol will address the discomfort, but I would tend to shy away from that, too. If she's running a slight fever - helpful in dealing with any illness that is causing it - it will interfere with that.

How about a spoonful of honey? That will soothe her throat.

(My kids used to avoid the teas like the plague, too, until I started this herbalist program... now they drink infusions of just about anything. Weird children)

I still give my kids cold meds (even the littles). I am very particular about dosages though, and I try to buy single-ingredient things as much as possible. If I do give a combo med, I pay close attention to the active ingredients so that I don't accidentally overdose them.

Yes, our ped said the problem was mainly parents not paying attention to dosing not the meds themselves. We usually stick to the single ingredient meds, pedicare is what our ped recommends. Tylenol could prolong the illness if she does not have a high fever. Delsym is what we were told to give for coughing, but talk to the pharmacist before giving any meds in combination just in case they don't mix well. Saline for the nose is still a good idea along with a humidifier even if you go the meds route.

Hopefully she feels better soon.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been giving her honey, Chamomile tea w/honey, doing the humidifier, having her suck on vit. c drops, cold eez zinc lozenges, and that's about it.

I did find a natural cough med. a few months ago that was mainly wild cherry bark-which I heard good things about. Unfortunately, you can't get it just anywhere, and we're about 40min away from the place that carries it. Maybe I can get dh to go tomorrow.

Thanks for your wishes, and I hope everyone else's dc stay healthy!!:001_smile:

A really easy one in a pinch is to cut up an onion and put it in a pan, then cover it with honey and heat it over a low flame for 30 minutes or so. It doesn't end up tasting particularly oniony, but helps with the cough. (I usually just pour the whole shebang into a jar, but you can strain it)

A really easy one in a pinch is to cut up an onion and put it in a pan, then cover it with honey and heat it over a low flame for 30 minutes or so. It doesn't end up tasting particularly oniony, but helps with the cough. (I usually just pour the whole shebang into a jar, but you can strain it)

Now that is one I have never heard of-I'll try it!

Thanks.

When my dd has a bad cough and complains that it hurts when she coughs I give her plain tylenol, put a humidifier in her room, and make sure she drinks plenty of water. I only give her cough syrup at night if she's been coughing for a long time and it is keeping her from falling asleep. We don't use cough syrup during the day. Those combo medicines don't seem like a good idea to me....I don't even take them myself!

I hope your dd feels better!!